This White Chocolate Pineapple Cake is a flavorful delicate cake, very light and refreshing, perfect for celebrating spring and upcoming Easter. It is moist and fluffy, and simply melts in your mouth, with a subtle pineapple flavor. The cake is composed from an almond crispy biscuit at the bottom, followed by three layers of vanilla sponge cake soaked in pineapple juice, filled with an amazing white chocolate and cream cheese frosting and pineapple jelly. I must say I simply fell in love with this cake. It is absolutely delightful and a crowd pleaser.
The recipe has many steps indeed, but each step is really easy to prepare and you will definitely get satisfying results if you follow the directions. Hope you will try this cake and enjoy!
White Chocolate Pineapple Cake
Almond Biscuit Cake
- 1/4 cup (55g) butter , chilled
- 1/2 cup (50g) ground almonds
- 1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tbsp (15ml) ice cold water
Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs , separated
- 2/3 cup (140g) sugar , divided
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3 fl. oz (90ml) vegetable oil
- 3 fl. oz (90ml) sparkling water
- 1 ⅔ cup (200g) flour
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
For soaking the cake layers
- 3/4 cup (180ml) pineapple juice
- 9 oz (240g) canned pineapple pulp
- 1/4 cup (60ml) canned pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp (10g) gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pineapple juice , for dissolving gelatin
- Yellow food coloring , optional
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz (180g) white chocolate , small pieces
- 1/4 cup (60g) whipping cream
- 13 oz (360g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (480g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
First prepare the pineapple jelly.
- Line two 7 inch (18 cm) pans with plastic wrap.
- Dissolve gelatin in canned pineapple juice and let it soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining juice and canned pineapple pulp until smooth.
- Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over pineapple puree and mix to combine.
- Divide pineapple puree evenly in the two pans and freeze for about 2 hours or overnight.
Prepare the almond biscuit.
- In a large bowl combine flour with sugar, almonds and salt. Incorporate chilled butter to the flour mixture, using a pastry blender, a fork or a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed. Add water and stir until incorporated. Wrap it with plastic, shape into a disc and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap until it's about 8 1/2 inch (21cm) in diameter.
- Use a 8 inch (20 cm) ring to cut a circle. Remove the excess dough. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Prick the circle of dough with a fork and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
Prepare the vanilla sponge cake.
- Reduce oven temperature to 340F (170C). Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 8 inch (20 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate whites from yolks.
- In a medium bowl mix yolks with 1/3 cup (70g) sugar and vanilla extract, until creamy and pale yellow colored. Gradually mix in oil and then add sparkling water.
- In a large bowl mix egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar (70g).
- Continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold a spoon of whipped whites into the yolk mixture and then gently fold the yolk mixture into the whipped whites.
- Gradually sift the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture and gently fold them in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
Prepare the white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Place white chocolate and ¼ cup (60g) cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Mix in melted chocolate and set aside.
- In another bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the white chocolate and cream cheese mixture.
Assemble the cake.
- Divide the sponge cake into 3 layers.
- Add a bit of frosting in the middle of a serving platter and place the almond biscuit on top. Spread a thin layer of frosting and add the first layer of cake.
- Soak the cake with about ¼ cup (60ml) canned pineapple juice. Spread evenly with up to 1/3 of white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Add one layer of pineapple jelly over the frosting.
- Add the second layer of cake. Soak with pineapple juice, spread up to 1/3 of the frosting and add the second pineapple jelly on top.
- Add the last layer of cake, soak with pineapple juice. Cover the top and sides with the remaining frosting.
- Refrigerate to set for several hours or overnight to allow pineapple jelly to thaw.
- Decorate the cake as desired, I used whipped cream, white chocolate curls and yellow flowers. Enjoy!