I have received a lot of requests to share with you a vanilla layer cake, and I decided to make this vanilla raspberry layer cake with Mascarpone frosting, a perfect treat for summer. The raspberries are in season now and goes perfectly in this refreshing dessert. As I wanted to reduce as much as possible the use of the oven in these hot days, I used a refreshing Mascarpone frosting, so the only step that requires baking is the vanilla cake layers.
The cake is made with moist and tender vanilla layers, a refreshing and creamy Mascarpone frosting that pairs so well with the sweet and tart raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries on top.
Though it appears as a difficult recipe with so many steps, it is very easy to put together and every step goes pretty fast. I really hope you will try this delicious recipe, you will love it.
Raspberry Vanilla Cake
Vanilla Cake Layers
- 3 cups (375g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 3 tsp (12g) baking powder
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 ⅔ cups (335g) sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 25oz (700g) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 pound (500g) Mascarpone cheese , room temperature
- 2 ½ cups (560g) heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (90g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- Prepare the vanilla cake layers. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease with butter and dust with flour two 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl add butter and sugar and mix to combine. Incorporate eggs one at a time and add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture while alternating with milk.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let pans cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool completely.
- Prepare raspberry sauce. Place raspberries, sugar, water and lemon juice into a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer for 20-30 minute until thickens and remove from heat. Sieve to remove the seeds. Set aside to cool until ready to use.
- Prepare the mascarpone frosting. Beat the Mascarpone cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In another bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the Mascarpone mixture. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the cake.
- Assemble the cake. Divide each cake layer in two to create 4 layers.
- Place 1 cake layer on your serving plate. Spread evenly 1/3 of raspberry sauce. Using a pastry bag fitted with a ½ inch (13mm) plain tip spread ¼ of Mascarpone frosting.
- Add another cake layer and spread evenly 1/3 of raspberry sauce and ¼ of Mascarpone frosting.
- Add another cake layer and spread evenly the last 1/3 of raspberry sauce and ¼ of Mascarpone frosting.
- Add the last cake layer on top and decorate with the last ¼ of Mascarpone mixture. Use a spoon to create a flower shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours or overnight.