These Eggless Savory Scones are one of the best appetizers you can prepare for a friend gathering. Buttery, with a crispy crust and a soft crumb, filled with matured cheddar cheese, onion and ham for an amazing flavor combination, these scones are simply hard to resist. The recipe is easy and quick to prepare and can be ready to serve in just a few minutes. These scones are best served warm to enjoy their great texture and flavor.
You can always make variations of the filling, like adding crispy bacon instead of ham, olives, dried tomatoes, chives or different types of herbs and the list can go on. You can also serve them alongside fresh salad or soups for creating memorable dishes each time. I am sure you will love these eggless savory scones as much as we did. Enjoy!
Eggless Savory Scones
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 2 ½ tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tsp (3g) garlic powder
- 5 tbsp (70g) cold unsalted butter , cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup (200g) buttermilk , cold
- 1 cup (100g) matured cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/4 cup green onion , chopped
- 3.5 oz (100g) ham , cut in small pieces
- Olive oil , for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and garlic powder. Add the butter cubes, and using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter until the pieces are no bigger than peas.
- Add the grated cheese, ham and green onion and just give a quick stir to combine with the flour mixture. Incorporate the cold buttermilk until just combined, don't overmix.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface. Shape into a circle of about 8 inch (20 cm) in diameter, then cut into 8 triangles.
- Transfer the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the top with olive oil.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. The scones are best served warm. Enjoy!