Baked Honey Sesame Chicken
Watch the video for this recipe:
It's definitely nice to bring variety in cooking and try recipes that are not in the traditional area, like this Chinese baked honey sesame chicken recipe that I've seen over Pinterest and since then I've been craving to try it too.
I thought it will be a difficult recipe, that will take me a lot of time. I was actually surprised of how quickly and easy it is to prepare this delicious baked honey sesame chicken. You can make this recipe with either chicken or turkey breast, will be as good.
All you have to do is to let the chicken bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, meanwhile prepare everything you need for the sauce and prepare it. The sauce is done in a matter of minutes, pour it over the chicken and it's done. The flavor is amazing. The toasted sesame seeds with the sweet and sour sauce complements very well the chicken. Serve honey sesame chicken over rice and the lunch or dinner is done in less than an hour.
Give it a try, you will love it.
Recipe adapted after oh, sweet basil
- Makes about 3-4 servings
- 4 boneless, chicken breast halves (about 500g)
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil for drizzling
- Sesame Sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp chili paste or chili jam
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the breadcrumbs into a flat bowl and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts in 1 inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Coat each piece in breadcrumbs and place into the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with a little oil and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- Prepare the sauce: In a sauce pan over medium heat add the sesame oil, garlic, ginger, chili jam and stir for a few seconds. Add the water (chicken stock), soy sauce, honey, vinegar and brown sugar. Stir until it comes to a boil.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water and once the mixture is boiling add the cornstarch mixture, stirring until it thickens. Keep it on very low heat until the chicken is cooked.
- Pour the sauce over chicken and top with sesame seeds. Serve immediately along side rice.