I love to discover new healthy recipes that I can repeat from time to time and serve either as appetizer, breakfast or dinner. This recipe for Red Lentil Walnut Dip is one of these. Whenever you are in a hurry it is so good to have such a healthy, quick and nutritious option available.
Not only it is easy to prepare but it is also very flavorful and one of the best dips I’ve made so far. You can call it lentil dip or lentil pate, any way you call it can be used the same way. The combination of toasted walnuts with lentils is just awesome. Also the spices like cumin, turmeric, coriander are such a good addition and bring flavor to this dip.
Serve the red lentil walnut dip with fresh vegetables, crackers, crostini, or spread on sandwiches. Give it a try and let me know how it turned for you. I am sure you will love it.
If you like dip recipes you may also like this bread recipe for Skillet Bread Four Cheese Spinach Dip and these Parmesan Crisps with Marinara Sauce. This Homemade Hummus is also a great choice as an appetizer, lunch or dinner.
Red Lentil and Toasted Walnut Dip
Slightly adapted after Seasonal and Savory
- 1 cup red lentils , sorted and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium sauce pan combine lentils with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until lentils are tender, for about 15 minutes. Drain well. Let them cool a bit and place in the bowl of the food processor.
- While the lentils cook toast the walnuts and cumin seeds, in a dry skillet, over medium high heat, stirring constantly to not let them burn. When you feel they smell toasty remove and add them over the lentils in the food processor.
- In the same skillet add olive oil and onion and cook for about 5 minutes until onion get soft, stirring constantly. Add the cooked onion to the food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the food processor, paprika, garlic, tomato paste, basil, turmeric, coriander, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Process the mixture until smooth and well combined. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with crackers, fresh bread and fresh vegetables. Can be served immediately as is done or refrigerate and serve cold.