It’s definitely nice to bring variety in cooking and try recipes that are not in the traditional area, like this Chinese baked honey sesame chicken recipe that I’ve seen over Pinterest and since then I’ve been craving to try it too.
I thought it will be a difficult recipe, that will take me a lot of time. I was actually surprised of how quickly and easy it is to prepare this delicious baked honey sesame chicken. You can make this recipe with either chicken or turkey breast, will be as good.
All you have to do is to let the chicken bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, meanwhile prepare everything you need for the sauce and prepare it. The sauce is done in a matter of minutes, pour it over the chicken and it’s done. The flavor is amazing. The toasted sesame seeds with the sweet and sour sauce complements very well the chicken. Serve honey sesame chicken over rice and the lunch or dinner is done in less than an hour.
Give it a try, you will love it.
Baked Cornflake Crusted Chicken Strips
Broccoli Puree with Sesame and Chicken
Mini Tarts with Chicken
Recipe adapted after oh, sweet basil
Baked Honey Sesame Chicken
Makes about 3-4 servings
- 4 (about 500g) chicken breast halves , boneless
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil for drizzling
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp chili paste or chili jam
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the breadcrumbs into a flat bowl and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts in 1 inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Coat each piece in breadcrumbs and place into the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with a little oil and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- Prepare the sauce: In a sauce pan over medium heat add the sesame oil, garlic, ginger, chili jam and stir for a few seconds. Add the water (chicken stock), soy sauce, honey, vinegar and brown sugar. Stir until it comes to a boil.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water and once the mixture is boiling add the cornstarch mixture, stirring until it thickens. Keep it on very low heat until the chicken is cooked.
- Pour the sauce over chicken and top with sesame seeds. Serve immediately along side rice.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Boy, this DOES look like a winner. Easy and delicious, plus made with staples in my kitchen!!
Mouthwatering! This is a dish I adore. A great recipe.
Thank ya’ll so very much for your recipes how very wonderful. I found this one and decided this is how I am going to cook my chicken dish today. Hope it turns out great, it will go well with my roasted broccoli, roasted potatoes, and carrots.
Sounds good:) Let me know how it turned out for you.
This was wonderful and so easy to make! Thanks for the recipe.
So glad you liked this Theresa. Hope you will try more of my recipes.
This sounds like a really good dish, is there any way to make it lower in points for weight watchers, when I calculate it it comes to 13 points.
Hmm.. you can try reducing the amount for the sauce, you don't need it all, just a bit for flavor. You also might love this recipe, with less calories: https://www.homecookingadventure.com/sticky-chicken-drumsticks
Great Recepi, It was easy it was convinent, it tasted really good, the only thing that I feel I messed up was with the sauce, I didn’t let it thicken enough, but the overall flavor was excelent
I am happy you loved the taste.. I am sure it was delicious even if the sauce was not thick enough.
We made this and it was gorgeous… My parents have put in a request to try them next time they come over.
Do have one question which type of vinegar do you use?
So glad you and your family enjoyed this recipe. I used an Italian balsamic vinegar, 6%acidity.
I’ve made this twice so far & it’s so delicious!! The sesame, garlic & Ginger (some of my favourite flavours) were so good together 🙂 It tastes & smells just like the what you’ll get at a restaurant. The only thing I did differently was let the chicken marinate in sesame oil, soy sauce & pepper before breading. I’m so glad I found your website & i’m excited to try your other recipes!!
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe.. yes marinating the chicken if you have time it's great:) Hope you will try some other recipes as well
I have cooked this for my wife and I several times without any issues. Such an easy recipe that is so tasteful. The first time I made this my wife thought I picked up food at the local asian restaurant. 🙂
I made it was delicious