Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Cherry Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Posted on June 9, 2011
I really love to combine chocolate with cheese cream. The "cherries on top of the cake" made it just divine.
1 hr 5 mins
- Makes 6 servings
- Cake Layers
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 12 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 7 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- Cherry Syrup
- 1 cup cherries, seeded and puree
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 50-70 ml water
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 g Mascarpone
- 250 g light cream cheese
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cherry syrup
- 1 cup cherries, seeded
- Make cake layers: Preheat oven to 375 F (180 C) and grease 3 (7 inch) round pans dishes with butter. Line the bottoms with rounds of parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites from the yolks and add water to egg whites. Whip whites until foamy with a mixer and gradually add the sugar whipping the whole time until it holds very stiff peaks. In a separate bowl mix egg yolks with baking powder. Fold yolks mixture into egg whites. Using a metal spoon, lightly fold in the cocoa powder and flour until combined well. Divide mixture between the 3 pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife completely around the inside edge of the pans. Remove parchment paper and let them cool completely at room temperature on a rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the cherry syrup. Combine pureed cherries with sugar and water and bring to boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat. It results a thick syrup. Let cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and mix until smooth.
- When layers are cool enough punch them with a toothpick from place to place. Add 3 tbsp of syrup on top of the surface of each layer and allow syrup to moist the layers.
- Split the frosting in 3 and assemble the cake. Garnish with cherries on top.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving - Calories:463, Fat:25.2 g, Saturated Fat:14.5 g, Carbohydrates:48.9 g, Sugar:36.4 g, Fiber:2.1 g, Protein:14.8 g, Cholesterol:253 mg, Calories from Fat 227, Sodium 225mg, Vitamin A 20%, Calcium 19%, Vitamin C 1%, Iron 15%, Nutrition Grade D+, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.