Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Chocolate Macarons with Salted Caramel Filling
Posted on March 15, 2013
The idea of making chocolate macarons with salted caramel filling came from the theme of this month of Chocolate Party hosted by Roxana from Roxana's Home Baking, which is chocolate and caramel.
I didn't expect fo the macarons to turn that good. The salted caramel blended so well with the chocolate macarons, reduced a lot from the sweetness of the macarons and for me that makes them the best so far.
Using salt crystals instead of regular salt bring a variation in taste and flavor as the crystals don't melt entirely.
Definitely worth all the effort:)
- Makes about 38 shells (19 filled macarons)
- Macaron Batter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered almonds
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- Caramel Filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp (70 g) unsalted butter, cold, in cubes
- 1/4 cup minus 1 tbsp (50g) cream
- 1/2 tsp salt crystals
- The directions for the macarons are the same as in the recipe of the Chocolate Macarons I have made.
- Prepare the salted caramel. Heat the cream until it just begins to boil and set aside.Place the sugar in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color. Remove the pan from the heat and add the hot cream. It will bubble a little bit. Cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Remove from heat, and add butter and salt. Stir well until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate to chill.
- Spread a bit of salted caramel on the inside of the macarons then sandwich them together.
- Let them stand at least one day before serving, to meld the flavors.
Nutrition facts 1 Macaron - Calories:111, Fat:5.2 g, Saturated Fat:2.4 g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0 g, Carbohydrates:16.3 g, Sugar:15.1 g, Fiber:0.6 g, Protein:1.3 g, Cholesterol:10 mg, Calories from Fat 47, Sodium 31mg, Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 1%, Iron 1%, Nutrition Grade D+, Daily Percent Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.