This Stovetop Chocolate Cherry Upside Down Cake is an amazing summer dessert you can put together really quick without turning on the oven. As cherry season is here, this chocolate cherry cake is a delightful way of using cherries in your desserts. It takes less than 30 minutes to bake on the stovetop and the result is unbelievable. This moist, chocolatey cake bursting with cherries on top is simply hard to resist. The best way to serve it is while still a bit warm with a good dollop of ice cream on top and melted chocolate drizzle.
The recipe is really easy and quick with amazing results each time you make it. First you need to prepare the chocolate cake batter. It is essential to use a good quality cocoa powder for this recipe. I love the rum, chocolate and cherry combination, so, rum can not be missed from this recipe. It really enhances the cherry flavor.
Once the batter is prepared you simply need to melt some butter and sugar on stovetop, add the cherries and pour the chocolate cake batter on top. Cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes until cooked through and the cherries soften.
If you love cherries you might also like this Cherry Puff Pastry Cake or this amazing Cherry Clafoutis. If you like mousse cakes you should definitely give this Black Forest Mousse Cake a try. Cherries go well with crepes too, so these Cherries and Cream Cheese Crepes will surely not disappoint. And last but not least this classic Black Forest Cake is also an amazing cherry chocolate cake you can try this season.
Hope you will give this amazing Stovetop Chocolate Cherry Upside Down Cake a try and don’t forget to let me know how it turns out for you. Enjoy!
Stovetop Chocolate Cherry Upside Down Cake
- 10 oz (300g) cherries , pitted
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (45g) sugar
Chocolate Cake Batter
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (56g) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60g) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5g) rum extract
- 1 ½ tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (40g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
Prepare the chocolate cake batter.
- In a medium mixing bowl add eggs with sugar and rum extract and mix until creamy and light yellow colored. Add oil and mix to combine. Add plain yogurt and mix to incorporate.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder and mix to combine. Set aside until you prepare the cherries.
Prepare the cherries.
- Place a 9 inch (23cm) frying pan over medium heat. Add butter and let it melt.
- Add sugar and continue cooking until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cherries and remove from heat.
- Pour the chocolate cake batter on top of the cherries and place over low heat. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream on top and a chocolate drizzle. Enjoy!