Watch the video for this recipe:
My little daughter turned 3 at the beginning of this month, her wish was to have a Nutella cake with colored bonbons on top. As her wish was the most important for me I started thinking and searching for the best way I can make her a Nutella Cake which looks good and doesn't take me too much to put together. As much I as I like layered cakes, and decorating them, it's pretty hard to have everything ready for a party, food and decorations, if only the cake takes half of day.
This Nutella Cheesecake was the perfect choice for this anniversary. Made it in the morning the day before the party, to allow it to cool and in the evening after all the appetizers and home decorations were done I made the Nutella topping. After a night refrigerated the cheesecake was ready to be served.
Seeing all these layers some may thing it takes a lot of work, but actually it goes pretty fast and when it's done it looks totally wonderful. A really dark chocolaty crust from the oreo cookies, a white cream cheese layer and a Nutella layer followed and in the end the intense Nutella topping which makes it totally irresistible. I really loved the way it turned out so I decided to make it again and share it with you.
I have more recipes of cheesecakes on my blog, some uses sour cream or Mascarpone alongside cream cheese. For this recipe it is important to use heavy cream because when mixed with cream cheese it gets whipped a bit and makes possible creating the two different layers of cheese mixture.
If you like Nutella give this cheesecake a try, you will be as pleased as we were. Enjoy!!
Recipe slightly adapted after RasaMalaysia
- Makes about 12-16 servings
- 250 g (about 30 oreo cookies), cream removed
- 6 tbsp (80 g) unsalted butter, melted
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 35 oz (1 kg) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (175g) heavy cream + 2 tbsp, cold
- 2/3 cup (190g) Nutella
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- Nutella Topping
- 2/3 cup (190g) Nutella
- 1/3 cup (80g) heavy cream
- Prepare the crust. Preheat oven to 350 F (180C). Remove the cream between oreo cookies and crush them using a food processor. Melt butter and pour over the crushed cookies. Process until evenly moistened. Press cookie mixture with the back of the spoon into the bottom of a 10-inch (26 cm) springform pan (with a removable base). Bake for 13-15 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 F (150C).
- Prepare the cream cheese filling. In a bowl combine the sugar with cornstarch.
- In a large bowl beat the cream cheese with 3/4 cup heavy cream until well combined and the mixture seems fluffy as the heavy cream has whipped a bit. (This is very important, because this is what makes possible creating the 2 layers effect.) Gradually add the sugar mixture and mix until creamy and smooth. Add vanilla extract and mix again until well combined. Add eggs one at a time until each egg is incorporated.
- Reserve about 1/3 of cream cheese mixture in a separate bowl. Add Nutella and 2 tbsp of heavy cream over the reserved 1/3 of cream cheese mixture and mix well until incorporated.
- Pour the white cream cheese mixture over the prepared crust. Carefully add Nutella mixture on top and use a rubber spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes on 300F (150C). Turn off the heat and leave it another hour in the oven.
- Remove and run a sharp knife completely around the inside edge of the pan. Let it cool completely at room temperature.
- Prepare the Nutella topping. Bring cream to a boil and pour over the Nutella. Mix well and spread evenly over the cheesecake.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Decorate with some chopped hazelnuts before serving if desired.