Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Poppy Seed and Walnut Rolls
Posted on May 24, 2011
Delicious mouthwatering rolls. Fluffy thin dough, enough tasty filling to satisfy either poppy seeds or walnuts lovers.These are usualy made for holiday tables but there is no reason not to make them any other time.
1 hr +1 hr rise
2 hr 40 mins
- Makes 6 rolls
- 2 1/2 pounds (1.2 kg ) flour
- 5 eggs
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2/3 cup (about 10 tbsp) sugar
- 50 g fresh yeast (4 1/2 active dry yeast)
- 10 tbsp oil
- 2 cups (500 ml ) warm milk
- Poppy seed Mixture - for 3 rolls
- 14 oz (400 g) ground poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup (150 ml) hot milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Walnut Mixture - for 3 rolls
- 14 oz (400 g) ground walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, mix flour with sugar. Dissolve the fresh yeast in little warm milk and add to the flour mixture. Add eggs and rest of the milk, sour cream, lemon zest and oil and mix everything together. Knead until smooth. Cover it and let it sit for about 1 hour at room temperature, to let the dough rise until nearly doubled in size.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling mixtures. Mix ground walnuts with sugar and vanilla, and set aside. In a separate bowl pour hot milk over poppy seeds, stir well and let cool completely. When is cool enough add sugar and vanilla and stir.
- Preheat the oven to 150C (300F).
- Punch the dough down, knead, and split into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a rectangular, about 30 cm (12 inches) long. You can use oil if the dough is sticky.
- Cover the dough with 1/3 of the poppy seed or walnuts mixture, leaving uncovered 1 inch on each side. Roll and place it on a greased baking sheet.
- Beat egg and brush each roll. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Nutrition facts 1 Roll - Calories:2116, Fat:102.4 g, Saturated Fat:12.6 g, Unsaturated Fat:0.1 g, Carbohydrates:251.3 g, Sugar:83.5 g, Fiber:18.4 g, Protein:61.4 g, Cholesterol:199 mg, Calories from Fat 922, Sodium 135 mg, Vitamin A 10%, Calcium 121%, Vitamin C 6%, Iron 110%, Nutrition Grade B, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.