I really don’t know who could resist these homemade cinnamon rolls? Rich and fluffy, with their soft, buttery interior they are totally irresistible. You can hardly stop to only one roll. My daughters love them so much that I have to make them pretty often. One of their favorite snack I could say. I usually make a whole batch and freeze some for later, otherwise we eat them all in one day:)
I’ve been asked for this recipe and I am so glad I finally succeeded to make all the photos. Was pretty hard to resist the smell while taking the photos you know :)? Just so I can share the recipe with you ..hehe 🙂
The recipe is quite easy, all you have to do is to prepare the dough, make the rolls and wait them to rise. The smell while baking is unforgettable. Drizzled with some vanilla icing makes them even more tempting. We usually like to serve them alongside a cold cup of milk.
You can use this dough recipe for other fillings as well, like poppy seeds, walnuts, fruits, but always use the butter inside layers. This is what makes the rolls so fluffy and soft. They will turn wonderful no matter the filling, that’s for sure.
These are the classic cinnamon rolls different from the cinnamon rolls I posted a while ago, which are using whipped egg whites and cinnamon as filling and a butter based dough. Both recipes are incredible good, so I would suggest you to try both recipes and see which one you prefer best.
Homemade Crescent Rolls
Poppy Seed and Walnut Rolls
Barbeque Sweet Rolls
Video sponsored by Buy Me a Pie!
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- 3 1/2 cups (440g) flour + extra for dusting
- 25 g fresh yeast (2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- 1 cup (240 ml) lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (30g +5g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp (56g) oil or melted butter
- 5 tbsp (70g) butter , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp (13g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) milk
- Prepare the dough. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar over the yeast and 1/3 cup of the milk. Stir to dissolve.
- In a large bowl combine flour, 2 tbsp sugar and salt. Add oil or melted butter, dissolved yeast, eggs and the rest of 2/3 cup milk. Stir to combine and knead until the dough is soft, a bit sticky but quite elastic and pulls away from the side of the bowl. If it feels too soft, you can add extra flour up to 1/2 cup (63g). Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine butter with cinnamon and sugar.
- On an oiled or floured surface roll the dough in a 12×18 inch (30x45cm) rectangle. Spread butter cinnamon mixture over the top of the rectangle. Roll the dough, seal the seam with water and cut into 12 equal size rolls. Place on a parchment paper lined (9×13 inch – 23x33cm) tray with 1/2 -1 inch (2 cm) distance between them to allow them to rise.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the rolls rise in a warm place for about one hour, until doubled in size. (if the tray is not too tall you might need to grease the plastic wrap so it doesn't stick).
- Preheat oven to 350F (180 C).
- Bake the rolls for about 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Prepare the glaze. Mix powdered sugar with vanilla and milk and before serving drizzle over the rolls.
- Serve warm alongside a cup of milk.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
they look perfect!
These cinnamon rolls are absolutely AMAZING!! I love how fluffy and packed full of cinnamon they look!
nice yummy, tasty rolls. Will surely try this. Nice step by step explanation.
How could anyone ever resist a cinnamon roll?! These look SO perfectly fluffy and delicious. I love when the get golden brown on top and have just a little bit of a crunch in the texture, mmm.
Thank you for resisting the temptation for our benefit!! Such sacrifice! These look delicious! I didn’t know you could freeze them for later…now I have no excuse NOT to make them!!
They look so smooth and divine! One of my favorite treats.
Wow, these looks amazing. I love cinnamon rolls any time of the day. They are great with a hot cup of coffee and as a treat. Love your detailed instructions. Great job 😀
I am (always have been) lactose intolerant, so the “with a glass of milk” presentation makes my stomach hurt just from the thought of it! But that aside, this recipe looks wonderful, I have been disappointed with yeast recipes lately, I think for this one I will try and get actual fresh yeast! With a tall cup of coffee! 😉
Alongside a cup of coffee sounds good to me too 🙂 Whatever works best for you, Lisa.
I have been looking for the perfect classic cinnamon roll recipe and this is so it! These look beyond awesome! Pinned!
My family never says no to homemade cinnamon rolls. Your recipe looks perfect!
Love the video and can’t wait to try the recipe. The music in the video is amazing. Please tell me who that is and what song it is.
This is my first time baking it and I managed it, it’s soft and yum! Thank you sis for sharing it out and I understand why this cinnamon rolls had been your family favorite 🙂
Can I know how to change the filling to other flavor ? maybe like chococolate or cheese?
I am do glad these turned good for you:) Simply spread nutella before rolling.. or cream cheese mixed with some sugar and raisins? ..Sometimes I make a filling of butter, sugar and ground poppy seeds or walnuts, for my daughters, as they really enjoy them
If i have to use instant yeast could you let me know how to use that in the recipe instead of the active dry yeast? Dying to try this but cant find anything other than instant yeast here
I just made these today and they are delicious!!! Such an easy recipe.
I love this song who is it by?
Hey, I found this on Youtube and it looks amazing! I have one question though – what kind of flour did you use? All Purpose flour or Bread flour? Any info would be great!
SO…I finally decided to make these a few months after discovering them on Youtube. The reasons why it took me so long to gather up my feelings where a)I always have to use extra flour and b)there’s always a distinct package yeast taste in my dough in any recipe. THIS MY FRIEND, WAS VERY DIFFERENT AND BEAT MY EXPECTATIONS! I didn’t find that I needed to make any adjustments, and I could stay true to this recipe (THEY WERE AMAZING BTW). God bless America!
I am so glad they finally turned right for you using my recipe:)
HI, Today I made Cinnamon Rolls. I followed ur recipe exactly and its just perfect. The bread is soft and so tasty.
Dear Ella, I made this Cinnamon Rolls today and I can’t believe how soft and yummy they are. I have never had Cinnamon Rolls like that. Great. Thank you so much. Pia
I would like to thank you for this recipe, cinnamon rolls came out just PERFECT! we have enjoyed them very much. Thank you xx
Hello, do I use all purpose flour or bread flour?
Hi, I’m planning on making these this week. Has anyone tried subbing the milk with almond milk or something similar? How did it turn out?
What a fabulous recipe! This is by far the best yeast dough recipe I’ve ever tried. Fluffy, light, moist – just perfect. I added 100g ground walnuts to the filling and it was really scrummy. Even my husband who’s not into sweet stuff, had some and enjoyed it!
I also love the clarity in the measurements of the ingredients and the step by step instructions. I will return to this again and again!
Can I make these the night before and bake them in the morning? Or do they not hold up well unbaked through the night?
These are the BEST cinnamon rolls!!!!! I substitute some of the of the ingredients to make make them vegan, and THEY ARE THE BEST!!!! 🙂
Yeey:) so happy you tried them out:) These are my daughter's favorites too.