I can’t believe we are already in December. Christmas spirit is already filling the air and all I can think of, is cookies, cookies and more cookies. I just hope that I can make all the cookies I have in mind until Christmas day. These almond and chocolate crinkle cookies are on my “to do” list for a long time. I’ve seen various recipes, but I stopped searching when I found this one, as I just knew they are going to be awesome. These cookies are made using no flour as they are made with only egg whites and lots of chocolate. These cookies are also gluten free as well, for whoever is concerned about it.
These crinkled cookies turned exactly the way I imagined crinkle cookies should be, very soft and fudgy inside, not too sweet and crispy on the outside. The chocolate chunks are melted when you just take a bite , oh my, it is really hard to describe.. those who love chocolate as much as I do know what I am talking about.
As these cookies are flourless they are not hard at all and simply melts in your mouth. These Almond and Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are incredible rich and chocolatey, perfect for holidays. They can make a beautiful gift idea as well, so don’t forget about these cookies when Christmas knocks on your door.
Recipe adapted after Bakerita with slightly few changes
Almond and Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 7 oz (200 g) bittersweet chocolate (65-70% cocoa percentage) , divided
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups powdered sugar , divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- almond extract , to taste
- extra flavors (orange or lemon zest , peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut half of the chocolate in smaller chunks. Set aside until ready to use.
- Melt the other half of the chocolate over bain-marie and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt into a medium bowl.
- Using a mixer start whipping the egg whites until they begin to rise and hold their shape. While whipping, gradually beat in 1/2 cup powdered sugar until stiff and firm, about 2 minutes.
- Using low speed of your mixer, gradually add the dry ingredients mixture over the whipped whites. Add melted chocolate, chocolate chunks and almond extract. Stir to combine.
- Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar into a bowl. Using your ice cream scoop take equal portions of dough and roll into the sugar, coating thickly. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, keeping 2 inches space between cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cracked. Cool on sheets on rack for 10 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool.