I have always loved these Easy Australian Lamingtons, ever since childhood, as they are a dessert that my mother used to make every year for holidays. The Australian Lamingtons are nothing more than vanilla sponge cake squares, dipped in chocolate sauce and coated in desiccated coconut. So easy to prepare, but always so delightful.
Lamingtons are a traditional Australian dessert but variations of this cake are made all over the world under various names. Besides Australia and New Zealand, this dessert is a very popular treat in countries like Croatia, Romania, Hungary, South Africa, England and the United States.
How to make Australian Lamingtons.
First, you need to prepare the vanilla sponge cake. You can use a butter sponge cake but this time I went for an easy recipe made with vegetable oil and milk, which always brings amazing results.
Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Mix egg yolks with half of sugar and vanilla extract until creamy and light yellow colored. Add vegetable oil and milk and set aside until you whip the whites. Whip whites with the remaining sugar and salt until soft peaks form. Gently incorporate the yolk mixture into the whipped whites. Fold in the flour and baking powder. Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined baking pan and bake for about 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely, before cutting it into squares.
After you prepare the vanilla sponge cake you can prepare the chocolate sauce, which takes only a few minutes. Add ingredients into a medium saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes. While still hot add in the vanilla or rum extract and chocolate. Stir the sauce until the chocolate is melted.
Dip each square in chocolate sauce and coat in coconut. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour and they are ready to serve.
If you like chocolate and coconut desserts you may also like this amazing Lamington Cake. These Chocolate Coconut Brownies are also an amazing treat perfect for various occasions. This Bounty Mousse Cake is also an impressive dessert that everybody will love.
Hope you will try these Easy Australian Lamingtons and let me know if you try them out and how they turned for you. Enjoy!
Easy Australian Lamingtons
Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 5 eggs , separated
- 1 cup (200g) sugar , divided
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (115g) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 2¼ tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cup (360ml) water
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla or rum extract
- 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate
For Coating the Lamingtons
- 2-3 cups (140-200g) desiccated unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 340F (170C). Grease and line with parchment paper a 9×13 cm (23×33 cm) pan.
Prepare the vanilla sponge cake.
- Separate whites from yolks.
- In a medium bowl mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar and vanilla extract, until creamy and pale yellow colored. Gradually mix in oil and then add milk.
- In a large bowl mix egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup sugar. Continue mixing until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whipped whites.
- Gradually sift the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture and gently fold them in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
Prepare the chocolate sauce.
- In a small saucepan add sugar and cocoa powder. Stir to combine and gradually add water, while stirring to combine well.
- Add the butter and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla or rum extract and semisweet chocolate chips.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted.
Prepare the lamingtons.
- Trim the edges of the sponge cake. Cut into 2-inch (5cm) squares.
- Place about 1 cup of desiccated unsweetened coconut into a bowl.
- Dip each square of sponge cake into the chocolate sauce, you can use a fork to make it easier.
- Coat each lamington in coconut and transfer to a serving plate.
- Repeat with the remaining sponge cake squares.
- Gradually, add more coconut in the bowl, as needed, for coating the lamingtons.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving. Enjoy!