Have you ever tried eggplant pizza? I’ve seen many versions of eggplant pizzas on Pinterest and really wanted to give them a try. For those in search for gluten free pizza solutions this might be one of the best alongside this wonderful cauliflower crust pizza. For me these eggplant mini pizzas seem like a perfect light dinner, appetizer or simply as a side dish. They look good and have a great taste. I actually prefer to serve them with a bit of crunchy bread, but work really good with only some fresh salad aside.
Being eggplant pizzas don’t expect to have a crunchy crust as regular pizza. That’s why I added some corn kernels on top to bring a bit of more texture. For a quick delicious homemade pizza sauce you can try the recipe I’ve used on this tuna and red onion pizza.
Eggplant has always made a great pair with tomatoes and cheese, these mini pizzas are confirming this really well. If you like eggplants you will love this dish.
- 1 (350g) large eggplant , cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup (100g) Mozzarela cheese , sliced
- 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes , sliced
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves , chopped
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- Wash the eggplant and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and let them sit for about 20-30 minutes to remove extra moisture. Pat them dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, freshly ground black pepper and oregano.
- Roast the eggplant for about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare everything you need for topping. These are just an idea you can top with whatever you like.
- Remove from the oven, add tomato sauce, Mozzarella cheese, cherry tomato slices and corn. Sprinkle the basil chopped leaves on top.
- Return to oven and broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese has melted.