I saw this Estonian kringle about an year ago and as I like bread challenges I knew the time will come to give this beauty a try.
Estonian Kringle - Cinnamon Braid Bread
- 2 1/4 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 3/4 cup (180ml) lukewarm milk
- 1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- 15 g fresh yeast (1 envelope active dry yeast)
- 2 tbsp (30g) melted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (50g) softened butter
- 4 or 5 (60-75g) sugar
- 3 tsp (9g) cinnamon
- 3 tsp grounded almonds , optional
- In a medium bowl stir fresh yeast with sugar until it liquefies. Stir in the lukewarm milk and then add the egg yolk and melted butter.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients and start kneading it until it pulls away from the edges of the bowl. Give the dough the shape of a ball. Sprinkle oil onto a clean bowl, place the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for about 1 hour at room temperature (warm space) until doubled in size. I usually put the bowl near my oven hob so the warmth get to it. It helps the dough rise very well.
- While the dough rises, whisk together the butter with sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, using a rolling pin roll the dough to a rectangle of about 18×12 inches. (I've made it smaller but it would have been better to make it of 18 inch).
- Spoon the cinnamon filling over top (keep about 1 tbsp of the filling for the end), spreading evenly, leaving a clean 1/2-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle the almonds over the cinnamon filling. Roll up the dough and using a sharp knife, cut the log in half lengthwise leaving one edge uncut for about 1/2 inch.
- Start braiding the two pieces, trying to keep the open layers exposed so the cut ends remain on top (this is what makes this bread effect).Pinch the ends together and form a wreath.
- Transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the wreath with the left cinnamon filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. For the last 10 minutes you can reduce the oven temperature to 180 C (350 F).
- Serve it warm as it is or with your favorite topping. It is gorgeous.:)