Rice pudding is one of the most comforting desserts in our family. Is one of the easiest recipes that can be served as dessert, breakfast or for dinner. It’s perfect for all seasons as it can be served hot in cold days or chilled in the summer days. Rice pudding is delicious served with cinnamon and raisins as well as with fresh fruits or homemade fruit jam.
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked short grain white rice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raisins , optional
- cinnamon , to garnish - optional
- In a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the milk and water to just below a simmer and stir in rice.
- Simmer uncovered until the rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract (and raisins – if used) and cook 10-15 minutes more until the rice pudding thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes. Spoon the pudding into serving bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon. Rice pudding will set further as it cools. It can be served warm or cold.