I’ve wanted for quite a while now to share with you a monkey bread recipe. I did not make the classic sweet version of it but a easy, cheesy one, and I absolutely loved it. It’s so easy to make this Garlic Cheese Monkey Bread from scratch that you don’t really need store bought dough for that.
Cheese and garlic are the predominant flavors of this bread but feel free to adjust the recipe as you desire using your favorite herbs and spices. The dough does not need two rising times, you shape it and let it rise directly into the pan. It works wonderfully.
Garlic Cheese Monkey Bread is best served right after you take it out of the oven, the pieces of dough can easily be pulled apart and dipped into your favorite dipping sauce.
Garlic Cheese Monkey Bread
- 3 ½ cup (440g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) garlic powder
- 1/2 cup (50g) Cheddar cheese , grated
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 25g fresh yeast (2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast or 2 tsp of instant yeast)
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk , warm
- 3/4 cup (180ml) water , warm
- 1 egg , beaten
- 3 tbsp (45g) butter , softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter , melted
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chives , chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley , chopped
- 1/2 cup (50g) Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1 cup (100g) Cheddar cheese , grated
- Your favorite dipping sauce , for serving
- Grease and dust with flour a 9 inch (23cm) bundt pan.
- Prepare bread dough. In a large bowl mix flour with salt, garlic powder and cheese.
- In a small bowl add sugar over the fresh yeast and stir until it liquifies. Add milk and stir to dissolve.
- Add dissolved yeast, water, beaten egg and butter over the flour mixture. Stir to combine and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface divide dough in 4 pieces. Divide each piece in 10 smaller pieces and roll each piece into ball.
- Prepare cheese coating. In a medium bowl mix melted butter with minced garlic and freshly ground black pepper.
- In another bowl mix cheddar and parmesan cheese with parsley and chives.
- Dip each ball of dough into the butter mixture and coat with cheese mixture.
- Place balls of dough in the prepared bundt pan.
- Cover the pan with a greased plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 30 minutes to 1 hr .
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until dark golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.