Key Lime Pie is undoubtedly one of the most sophisticated and refined desserts one could ever ask for. Whether you’re planning to celebrate a special occasion or just want to indulge in a sweet treat, this exquisite delicacy is an absolute game-changer.
The filling of Key Lime Pie is undoubtedly the star of the show. It is a heavenly blend of sweet and tangy flavors, with a silky-smooth texture that melts in your mouth. The result is an unforgettable burst of flavor that leaves a lasting impression on your palate.
Not only is the taste of this dessert exceptional, but its preparation is also a breeze. The filling is easily prepared with sweetened condensed milk and other simple ingredients, requiring only a few minutes of baking time. Once the baking process is complete, it is crucial to let the pie chill for several hours to ensure that it sets correctly and delivers the perfect consistency.
How to make Key Lime Pie
The first step is to prepare the crust by blending biscuits/graham crackers in a food processor until crumbs form, stirring in sugar and melted butter, and then pressing the mixture onto the bottom and sides of an 8-9 inch pie pan. Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes and allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
Next, prepare the filling by whisking egg yolks with lime zest until creamy and light yellow colored. Add condensed milk and lime juice and stir until well combined. Pour the mixture over the cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely at room temperature and then refrigerate the pie for several hours or overnight.
Finally, before serving, prepare the whipped cream by whipping cream until soft peaks form, incorporate powdered sugar, and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Place the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1M star tip and use it to decorate the pie. Sprinkle some lime zest on top if desired.
While many recipes call for whipping cream as a topping, the classic version of Key Lime Pie includes a meringue topping. You can even try different toppings to add your personal touch to this timeless dessert. If you’re curious about making the perfect meringue topping, try the recipe I used for the S’mores Tart. It’s sure to impress your taste buds and those of your guests!
Key Lime Pie is a dessert that never goes out of style. With its delicate flavors and easy preparation, it’s the perfect addition to any gathering or special occasion. So go ahead and give it a try, and let me know how it turns out! If you do, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, would love to see your take on it.
Other fruity tarts you may like to try
Indulge in the perfect balance of sweet and tangy with our Strawberry Basil Panna Cotta Tart, featuring a layer of strawberry jelly, a silky smooth basil-infused panna cotta, and a crisp almond tart shell. You may also like to try another burst of zesty citrus flavor with our Lemon Meringue Tart, consisting of a buttery pastry crust, tangy lemon filling, and fluffy, toasted meringue topping. Elevate your dessert game with our Cream Tart, a trendy and customizable treat featuring two layers of crispy cookies filled with sweet cream and fresh fruit.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Blueberry Lemon Bundt Cake
Key Lime Pie
- 7 oz (200g) digestive biscuits or graham crackers
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 5 tbsp (70g) butter , melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz -397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (10g) powdered sugar
Prepare the crust.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Place the biscuits/graham crackers into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until crumbs form. Transfer the crumbs into a bowl, stir in sugar and melted butter.
- Press the mixture onto the bottom and sides of a 8-9 inch (20-23cm) pie pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and let to cool on a rack for about 15 minutes.
Prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl whisk egg yolks with lime zest until creamy and light yellow colored. Stir in condensed milk and lime juice until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let pie cool completely at room temperature and then refrigerate for several hours or better overnight.
- Before serving whip the cream until soft peaks form. Incorporate powder sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Place the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with 1M (½ inch-1cm) star tip and decorate the pie. Sprinkle some lime zest on top if desired.
- Keep leftover pie refrigerated.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
I did this today, it was a huge success! I was unable to add the topping as the whipping cream I purchased was bad (I believe cold was not preserved) and it got separated as soon as I started to whip. Either way the result was amazing my boyfriend was really happy. Thanks a lot! Your posts are really self explannatory and really easy to make!
Interesting, in that most ALL of the recipes show a finished presentation that would take “Best of Show” nearly a/where, but with THIS recipe it is done in a simple, plain baking pan. Any time I do a pie and make my own crust (even if as simple as this graham cracker crust), I’ll use a pie dish 🙂
This is so good. My whole family liked it.
My daughter’s favorite pie. Great recipe.