These Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Puff Pastry Hand Pies are an amazing comforting dish. They are perfect for lunch or dinner or simply as an appetizer idea for parties. These savory Hand Pies consist of flaky puff pastry filled with a flavorful filling with caramelized onion, mushrooms, fresh thyme and cheese. The puff pastries are topped with some Parmesan Cheese and then baked until golden and crisp. The best way to serve them is right after you take them out of the oven. Serve with a fresh salad or your favorite dipping sauce.
What type of dough to use?
The recipe is easy, and uses store-bought puff pastry to make things easier and faster. But if you have the time and energy I highly recommend making your own dough. Consider this Rough Puff Pastry or simply a Pate Brisee like in these Sweet Hand Pies.
How to make the savory hand pies filling?
For the first step you need to prepare the caramelized onion. I must say I really love how this caramelized onion turned out. It is sweet and beautifully golden, perfect not only for these hand pies but for other dishes as well. I usually like to use it on burgers, on toast or added on dipping sauces.
The next step is to cook the mushrooms with some garlic and fresh thyme. After they cool down you can go to the next step of filling the puff pastry.
Working the puff pastry dough.
The puff pastry needs to be chill for easier handling. Try to make this step as fast as possible especially if working in a very warm room. Cut the dough into pieces, fill , fold and prick the edges with a fork to seal the edges. Brush with some beaten egg and sprinkle some parmesan cheese or sesame seeds or even some bagel seasoning.
And here comes the best part, baking time. In less than 20 minutes you’ve got some flaky, buttery and crispy pies ready to be served.
You can always choose different fillings for the hand pies or use different herbs to suit your own tastes. They will definitely turn into an unforgettable treat each time. We have really loved these Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Puff Pastry Hand Pies and really hope you will give them a try. Enjoy!
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Puff Pastry Hand Pies
- 1 puff pastry sheet (14 oz – 400g)
- 2 medium onions ,sliced
- 1 tbsp (14g) butter
- 1 tbsp (14g) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 1 pound (500g) mushrooms ,sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar or gruyere cheese ,grated
- 1 egg , beaten
- Parmesan cheese ,grated
First prepare the caramelized onion.
- You can also consider making it a day before and keep it refrigerated, if you need to save some time.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil and then add onion slices.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until softened, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and salt and continue cooking the onions, stirring constantly, for about 15-20 minutes more until caramelized.
- Transfer the onion to a bowl and let cool completely.
Prepare the mushrooms.
- In the same skillet add the mushroom slices and cook for about 10-15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add soy sauce, salt, pepper and thyme and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Prepare the hand pies.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F (200C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold puff pastry and use a rolling pin to roll it out a bit to make it wider.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces.
- Divide grated cheese. Top with mushroom mixture and caramelized onion.
- Brush the edges with beaten egg and fold the dough over the filling.
- Use a fork to press the edges together to seal.
- Transfer the hand pies to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve alongside your favorite dipping sauce or salad. Enjoy!