This is the first time I am adding peanut butter to a cookie recipe and I have to admit I really love it. Peanut butter gives a great texture and taste to the basic chocolate cookies. I was afraid that the peanut butter flavor would be too strong but seems to be just the right amount. You can feel the peanut flavor but it’s not overwhelming and peanuts combine so well with chocolate.
I’ve taken these peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies to my daughter’s kinder garden Christmas celebration and everybody enjoyed them. They were all gone by the end of the evening.
I will definitely repeat this recipe for Christmas. It is one of the best cookie recipe ever and a perfect, homemade gift idea as well.
Recipe adapted after Martha Stewart
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 1/2 stick (60g) unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 ounces (200g) semisweet chocolate , cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the chocolate into chunks.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour and baking soda.In another bowl add the peanut butter, butter, granulated sugar and dark brown sugar. Using an electric mixer, mix well until creamy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Using an ice cream scoop, take equal portions of dough and place on the prepared baking sheets, 1 inch apart. Press down slightly with bottom of a glass, dipped in granulated sugar.
- Bake until golden, 10-13 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.