This Plum Upside Down Cake is one of the most comforting ways to enjoy these delicious fall fruits. With its beautifully caramelized plums on top and a buttery soft cake, bursting of cinnamon and lemon flavor, this cake is simply hard to resist. Serve slightly warm with a good dollop of ice cream or whipped cream for a delightful experience.
The recipe is quite easy and quick to prepare and the results are always very satisfying. You can use any type of plums you have around, for instance blood plums make a great choice due to their redish color. Nectarines, peaches, apples and pears can also be a great substitute to plums. Feel free to use this recipe and adjust according to your preferences. Walnuts can also be a great addition into the cake batter if you enjoy nutty desserts. Let me know if you will try this plum upside down cake recipe and enjoy!
Plum Upside Down Cake
For Caramelized Plums
- 1 pound (500g) medium firm plums , pitted and cut into 1/2inch (1cm) thick wedges
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45g) butter
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- Lemon zest of a lemon
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45g) sour cream
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup (160g) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare the caramel. Place the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Pour the caramel into a 8 inch (20cm) pan. If you use a springform pan place the pan over a tray in case some caramel leaks out.
- Arrange the plum wedges in the caramel and set aside until you prepare the batter.
- Prepare the batter. In a medium bowl whisk the flour with baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl rub sugar and lemon zest together to release oil. Add butter and mix until creamy. Incorporate eggs one at a time. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- With the mixer on low gradually incorporate the flour mixture.
- Pour batter over the plum wedges on the pan.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, and then invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve as is or with a good dollop of ice cream or cream on top.