- Chocolate Norwegian Cake - Chocolate Verdens Beste
- Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
- Baked Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donuts (no yeast, no eggs)
- No-Bake White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Chocolate Milk Slice Cake - Kinder Chocolate Milk Slice
- No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
Apple Upside Down Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
I love autumn and its rich harvest of fruits and vegetables. I really enjoy going to the local market nearby every morning and buy fresh and appetizing products. I always end up buying a little from everything as all look soo good. Apples are in season now and it happens that I ran over some delicious and succulent ones that were just perfect for this upside down cake.
- Makes about 10 servings
- 4-5 apples
- 50 g (1/4 cup) +1 tbsp butter
- 7 tbsp (100g) sugar, divided
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter, room temperature
- 5 tbsp (75g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45g) sour cream
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 11 tbsp (150g) flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 10-inch(26 cm) round cake pan.
- Peel apples and sprinkle lemon juice over them. Cut them into wedges,remove the core and slice.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add 5 tbsp of sugar and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture turns golden brown. Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar and add 1 tbsp of butter cut in small pieces over the apples. Cook in the oven until you prepare the batter for the cake.
- While the apples are in the oven prepare the cake batter. Separate egg whites from the egg yolks. Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
- Whip egg whites until very stiff and firm. Fold them into the butter mixture.
- Remove the apples from the oven and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Pour the batter over the apples and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it stand for about 5 minutes.Then run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan and invert the cake onto a cake plate.
- Can be served as it is or with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!