Parmesan Crisps with Marinara Sauce
Watch the video for this recipe:
Parmesan Crisps are a quick appetizer idea that is so easy to prepare that you can hardly call it a recipe. With just few ingredients you can have a low-carb appetizer that everybody will enjoy.
Parmesan Crisps can be served either with various cream soup or simply as a substitute for potato chips. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
- Makes about 20 crisps
- 1 cup (100g) Parmesan, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dry oregano
- Marinara Sauce
- 1 pound (450g) can or fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp (14g) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (3g) sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (1g) dry oregano
- fresh basil
- red pepper flakes, optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Place heaping tablespoons of parmesan at least 1 inch (3cm) apart, flattening slightly. Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper and dry oregano on top of each.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Cool completely.
- Prepare the marinara sauce. In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, cook few seconds then stir in diced tomatoes. Add sugar, basil, oregano, bay leaf, pepper flakes if used, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until slightly reduced and thickened.
- When done, remove from heat and let cool slightly before serving.
- It keeps well refrigerated for up to a week or freeze until ready to use.