I have seen various Spaghetti Pies some time ago and really wanted to give it a try. I am so glad I did, because this Spaghetti Pie is really delicious. It is the kind of comforting dish that everybody will love and ask for more. Preparing spaghetti in this pie way, makes it quite an impressive dish for your family and friends. Depending on the number of servings you want to achieve, this recipe is easily adaptable to various pan sizes and can be a great choice for feeding a crowd.
For this Spaghetti Pie recipe I have opted for a tomato and meat sauce filling which is very much loved in our family. A spaghetti crust at the bottom, followed by a ricotta layer, the tomato meat sauce and topped with mozzarella and Parmesan, and then all baked until golden and simply irresistible. By far one of the best pasta recipes you can ever prepare. Hope you will give this pie a try and enjoy as much as we did.
Recipe slightly adapted after Delish
- 7 oz (200g) spaghetti
- 1 tbsp (15g) butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (25g) Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (240g) ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh basil , chopped
Meat Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 pound (250g) ground beef
- 1/2 pound (250g) ground pork
- 21 oz (600g) tomato sauce
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 tsp (4g) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) pepper
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 1 cup (100g) mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp (20g) Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil , for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).Lightly grease an 8 inch (20cm) springform pan. Wrap the pan with a layer of aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Prepare the meat tomato sauce. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute, until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and ground pork, breaki up the meat with a wooden or silicone spoon, and cook until no longer pink, for about 5-6 minutes.Pour in tomato sauce and add salt, pepper, oregano, fresh basil and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until the sauce is reduced and thickened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water with 3-4 minutes less than package instructions, in my case for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, whisk eggs, melted butter and Parmesan cheese until well combined. Add spaghetti and toss to coat. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of the prepared pan to form a crust.
- In a small bowl mix ricotta cheese with fresh basil and spread on top of the spaghetti mixture.
- Top with meat tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle it with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until the cheese has the desired golden brown look.
- Decorate with fresh basil and enjoy!