The Taiwanese Castella Cake won me over so completely that I couldn’t resist making a chocolate version of it. And let me tell you, both variations of this cake are absolutely delightful and hard to resist. This Chocolate Taiwanese Castella Cake is simply delightful and irresistible. It has the same delicate texture as the vanilla version, but with a soft, moist, fluffy, and chocolaty crumb that will leave your taste buds wanting more. This cake is perfect for chocolate lovers who want to try a new and exciting dessert.
Few tips on how to make Chocolate Taiwanese Castella Cake
The recipe for this chocolate cake is easy to follow. You will need both chocolate and good-quality cocoa powder to achieve the perfect balance of flavors. It is important to follow the same steps as the vanilla version, which includes using room temperature eggs, and cake flour for best results, and whipping the egg whites to soft peaks instead of stiff peaks to avoid cracks. It is also essential to use hot but not boiling water for the water bath to prevent the cake from rising too fast and cracking the top. By taking all these steps into account, you can create a beautiful and delicious Chocolate Castella Cake.
Many people who have tried both the vanilla and chocolate versions of the Taiwanese Castella Cake have said that they enjoy the chocolate version even more. This cake is truly amazing and worth trying for anyone who loves chocolate or wants to try a new and unique dessert. The combination of the soft, fluffy texture and the rich, chocolaty flavor is simply divine.
This Chocolate Taiwanese Castella Cake is a fantastic dessert that combines the traditional cake with the rich and decadent flavor of chocolate. This dessert is easy to make and is sure to impress anyone who tries it. If you are a fan of Castella Cake or just love chocolate, this cake is a must-try. So, grab your ingredients and get baking, as it is absolutely amazing. If you try it out don’t forget to tag me on Instagram as I love seeing how it turned out for you. Enjoy!
Other similar recipes you may like to try
Japanese Cheesecake is a fluffy, light and creamy dessert that has gained immense popularity worldwide. This type of cheesecake is known for its cotton-soft texture and delicate flavor. Made with cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and a small amount of flour, Japanese cheesecake is baked in a hot water bath to ensure it cooks evenly and doesn’t crack. The Chocolate Japanese Cheesecake is a delightful twist on the classic recipe, featuring a rich chocolate flavor that adds an extra layer of decadence.
Chocolate Taiwanese Castella Cake
- 7 eggs , separated
- 2 oz (60g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 6 tbsp (80g) oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (90g) cake flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300F (150C). Line with parchment paper the bottom and sides of a 8 inch (20cm) square pan. (preferably not a pan with a removable base, in this case you would need to wrap the pan with heavy duty aluminum foil).
- Separate whites from yolks and let them get to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder set aside.
- In a medium saucepan add oil (or butter if preferred),milk and chocolate and place over low heat just until chocolate is melted. Don’t boil or simmer.
- Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture and mix to combine. Add egg yolks and mix to incorporate. Add vanilla extract, mix and set aside.
- Add salt over egg whites, and whip until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue mixing until soft peaks form. Make sure you don’t over whip, otherwise your cake might get cracked.
- Gently fold in the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and rap the pan a few times to get rid of large air pockets.
- Place the pan into a larger baking tray and add warm to hot water, not boiling, into the pan, up to halfway of the pan.
- Place into the oven on the second bottom rack not middle and bake for 1 hour and remove the pan from the baking tray.
- Serve cold or slightly warm and enjoy!