These Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with Bulgur and Feta are a great summer side dish perfect for tomato season. It is really delicious and looks very appetizing. You can serve this dish any time of the day, for either brunch, lunch or dinner or simply as an appetizer.
These Stuffed Tomatoes have a bulgur, feta, fresh herbs and olives filling and are baked until slightly golden. It is best to serve them hot, right after taking them out of the oven. Everybody will enjoy the dish which is simply delightful and bursting with summer flavor.
For this recipe it is essential to use round ripe tomatoes with pretty firm walls. When you cut the tomatoes in half they have to be able to stand perfectly on a baking tray. Then you have to scoop the flesh out and discard the seeds and juices. Chop the remaining flesh and use in the filling with the rest of ingredients.
For the filling, you can feel free to adjust the recipe to suit your own tastes. You can use rice or quinoa instead of bulgur, different types of cheese or different herbs.
You can also prepare this dish in advance within a few hours. After filling the tomatoes, refrigerate and bake just before serving.
If you are in search of tomato recipes to prepare this summer you might like the following recipes. This Tomato Basil Tart is using fresh ripe tomatoes and fresh herbs over a puff pastry crust. It is by far one of the best summer savory tarts ever. If you like cream soups you have to try this amazing Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup. This creamy soup is really comforting and flavorful. Shakshuka – Eggs in Tomato Sauce is definitely a must try recipe. The eggs are poached in tomato sauce and makes a perfect dish for brunch or lunch. Also, you have to try this easy recipe for Tomato Pizza Sauce. Homemade tomato sauce is always fresher and tastier than store-bought ones.
We have really enjoyed these Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with Bulgur and Feta. Hope you will try them out and let me know if you do. Enjoy!
Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with Bulgur and Feta
- 4 medium tomatoes with firm walls
- 1/3 cup (75g) bulgur
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 or 3 spring green onions , chopped
- 4 oz (120g) Feta cheese , crumbled
- 2 tbsp (20g) black olives , pitted and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh basil , chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint , chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Place the bulgur into a medium bowl and pour boiling water over it.
- Let it soak for 10-15 minutes. It will be tender but will still keep a bit of crunch.
- Meanwhile, cut each tomato in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. Discard the seeds and juices, chop the flesh and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add soaked bulgur, feta cheese, green onion, garlic, black olives, fresh basil and mint, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Fill the tomato halves with the bulgur mixture.
- Drizzle the stuffed tomatoes with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve hot. Enjoy!