As the winter holidays are approaching, this Brown Sugar and Ginger Glazed Ham can be a delightful addition to your Christmas menu. With its juicy meat and sweet and spicy, caramelized sticky glaze this ham will surely delight everybody at the table.
The ham is already pre-smoked and cooked. All we need to do is bring more flavor with this amazing glaze. This ginger glaze will give the ham an irresistible golden brown and crispy exterior.
For preparing the glaze you will need brown sugar, honey and mustard, cinnamon, cloves and a good amount of fresh ginger. This is by far one of the best basting glazes you have ever prepared.
Serve this Brown Sugar and Ginger Glazed Ham with your favorite side dishes. We would recommend this mashed potato casserole, potato stacks or potato gratin and your favorite veggies. Hope you will try this Brown Sugar and Ginger Glazed Ham. Tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy it as we sure did.
For a festive dinner you may also like this Turkey Roulade with Cranberry and Spinach Stuffing. This roulade looks very impressive and is quite easy to prepare. Another great choice is this Duck Confit. This consists of duck legs that cook slowly in duck fat. It is one of the finest dishes in French cuisine and is absolutely delicious.
Brown Sugar and Ginger Glazed Ham
Makes about 8 servings
- 3 pounds (1.4 kg) boneless cooked ham
Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/3 cup (70g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (40g) honey
- 2 tbsp (30g) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (1g) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1g) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1g) cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp (15g) grated ginger
- 1 cup (240ml) hot water
- Let the ham sit at room temperature for about 1 hour before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 325F (160C).
- Remove the rind of the ham, but make sure to leave the fat on.
- With a sharp knife score 1 inch (2.5 cm) diamond pattern into the fat.
- Place the ham into a 9 x 13 inch (23x33cm) pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Add 1 cup of hot water into the pan and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the brown sugar and ginger glaze. Place brown sugar, honey, mustard, cider vinegar, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger into a saucepan. Cook over medium high heat and simmer for a few minutes just until sugar is dissolved.
- Add garlic and remove from heat.
- Remove the ham from the oven and baste with the brown sugar glaze.
- Return to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes per pound (in this case for 1 hour), basting the ham every 15 minutes.
- If the top doesn’t look crispy enough, broil the ham for a couple of minutes at the end of baking time.
- Let the ham rest for at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!