This Orange Nutella Walnut Babka is a delicious version of traditional Babka, rich, nutty, and chocolaty, abounding in citrus flavor. It is by far one of the best Babkas you can ever prepare.
Babka is a delicious sweet braided bread that is usually baked around the holidays in many European countries. It consists of a yeast dough that is refrigerated and let to rise slowly for more than 10 hours, then filled with various fillings, from nuts, chocolate, cinnamon, poppy seeds, sweet chees,e and the list can go on.
The recipe is not too difficult, but you need a bit of organizing things around. All you need to do is to make the dough a day before, let it rise overnight and then, the next day prepare the filling, roll, braid and bake. Hope you will try this Orange Nutella Walnut Babka, and if you do let us know or tag us on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you. Enjoy!
If you like bread recipes you may also like this Chocolate Swirl Milk Bread or this Christmas Braided Bread. These Poppy Seed and Walnut Rolls are amazing sweet bread rolls that are usually made during the holidays.
Orange Nutella Walnut Babka
- 7 fl. oz (200ml) milk
- 7 oz (200g) all purpose flour
- 35g fresh yeast (10g of active dry yeast)
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 small eggs
- 2 tsp (10g) salt
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (120g) Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 3 tsp (15g) lemon and orange zest
- yeast starter
- 4 ¾ cups (600g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter , melted
- 3.5 fl. oz (100ml) vegetable oil
Cocoa Walnut Filling
- 3 large eggs (about 180g)
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 2 tsp (10g) lemon and orange zest
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 3 cups (360g) ground walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 ⅓ cup (400g) Nutella
Chocolate Glaze, optional
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
- 4 tbsp (50g) butter
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 5 fl oz (150ml) milk
- Prepare the yeast starter. Place the sugar and milk into a saucepan and heat just until warm. Remove from the heat and add the crushed yeast. Pour the milk mixture over the flour and mix to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until it increases in volume, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the dough. Combine the yolks, the 2 whole eggs, salt and sugar and mix until foamy and light yellow.
- Add Greek yogurt, orange and lemon zest and vanilla and mix to combine, then add the sifted flour. Start kneading the dough until smooth. Then add alternately, the oil and butter (about 5 tranches) and continue kneading by folding the dough, until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Finally hit it a few times, throw it in the bowl in which we kneaded it, then transfer the dough into an oiled greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 14 hours.
- Prepare cocoa filling. Mix eggs with salt, sugar and citrus zest until foamy and the sugar is dissolved. Add rum essence or extract if desired. Add cocoa, ground walnuts or pecans and mix with a spatula. Divide mixture in four.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease with oil the bottom and sides of two 12 x4.4 inches (30x11cm) loaf pans and line with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts. Onto a floured surface, roll each part into a 8×12 (20x30cm) rectangle. Spread ¼ of cocoa filling over the rolled dough, and spread 1/3 cup (100g) Nutella over the cocoa filling.
- Roll up the dough, and repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Braid 2 of the rolled pieces starting from the middle and pinch the ends. Place in the prepared loaf pan. Repeat with the remaining 2 pieces of rolled dough.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and leave to rise at room temperature until it doubles in volume for about 45 minutes or more depending on the room temperature.
- Brush with beaten egg before baking.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 9 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 320°F (160°C) and bake for another 45 minutes.
- Let it cool slightly before serving. If desired, top with chocolate glaze.
- Prepare chocolate glaze. Add all ingredients into a heat proof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water until the chocolate melts.
- Strain and pour over the babka. Enjoy!