As Thanksgiving is approaching I want to share with you a delicious and easy recipe for Potato Gratin, a comforting side dish suitable for special occasions without requiring fancy ingredients.
Potato Gratin consists of three layers of starchy potatoes, cream and cheese, flavored with onion, a hint of garlic and fresh thyme and topped with a crispy golden cheesy crust. It is one of the best side dishes and can be easily made in advance.
The potatoes must be thinly sliced so it is essential to use a mandoline or a food processor that can make this step easier and faster. Hope you will try it out and enjoy!
Cheese Potato Pancakes
Parmesan Potato Stacks
Potato Gratin (Potato Dauphinois)
- 2 ¼ pounds (1 kg) starchy potatoes
- 1 garlic clove , unpeeled
- 1 ¼ cup (300g) cream , 35% fat
- 1/4 tsp (1g) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1g) black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp (7g) salt
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 1 tbsp (14g) butter
- 1 cup (100g) sharp Cheddar cheese or Gruyere , grated
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Peel the potatoes, rinse and pat dry with paper towel. Using a mandoline or a food processor cut the potatoes in 1/8 inch (3mm) slices.
- Cut the onion in thin rings or slices and cut the unpeeled garlic. Rub a 9 inch (23cm) skillet or casserole dish with the cut garlic and grease the bottom and sides with butter.
- In a bowl whisk together cream with nutmeg, black pepper and salt.
- Spread 1/3 of the sliced potatoes on the prepared skillet. Add about 1/3 of the onion rings, 1/3 cup cheese, fresh thyme and 1/3 cream mixture.
- Spread another 1/3 of the sliced potatoes , 1/3 of the onion rings, 1/3 cup cheese, fresh thyme and 1/3 cream mixture.
- Finish with the last 1/3 sliced potatoes, remaining cream mixture and spread the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
- Bake for about 60-70 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through and the top is golden.
- Let the gratin rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
This sounds good.
mmmm these potatoes look SO flavorful, I’d adore a huge helping!