Experience the delectable world of truffles, where taste and fun come together in a harmonious symphony. These delightful treats are an absolute favorite among kids, capturing their hearts and taste buds all year round. When you infuse the truffles with a patriotic spirit by incorporating the colors of white, blue, and red, they transform into the perfect dessert for celebrating 4th of July.
These 4th of July truffles are made with a luscious cocoa cake, mascarpone cheese, and Oreo crumbs. The recipe is incredibly simple, and you can fill them with M&M’s, hazelnuts, raisins, or any other candy that appeals to you. The choice is yours, limited only by your imagination and taste preferences.
It’s not just the taste that will captivate you; the truffles also present a visual feast. Decorated with the vibrant hues of white, blue, and red, they stand as a testament to your patriotic spirit. Prepare to be showered with compliments and smiles as these truffles become the centerpiece of your festive table.
How to make 4th of July truffles
First, you need to bake the cake. Then wait to cool, and prepare the cake mixture. Roll the truffles into balls and dip into chocolate. In the end decorate with red and blue chocolate.
Prepare the chocolate cake
Line an 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven at 350F (180C). In a large bowl mix the oil, egg and sugar. Add in the milk and mix until combined, then add in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda, mix until all comes together, at the end add the hot water and mix until combined. Bake for about 20-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
Prepare the cake mixture for truffles
After the cake cools, take a large bowl and use a fork to turn the cake into crumbs. Add the mascarpone cheese, the liqueur, rum extract and Oreo crumbs and using your hand, mix all together until you obtain a thick paste. Using a scooper, scoop the mixture into 36 pieces. Push a hazelnut/ M&M/ raisin into the center of each piece and roll into balls. Put them in the freezer for at least 30 mins.
How to dip the truffles in chocolate
Melt the white chocolate and the vegetable oil over a bain marie.
Using a fork, dip each ball into the melted chocolate and tap off the excess. Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper. Let harden while you prepare the colored chocolate.
How to decorate the 4th of July truffles
In two separate bowls, add in the red and blue candy melts. Melt over bain-marie or microwave, then transfer them into two separate piping bags fitted with very small round tips. Drizzle the red and blue chocolate over the top of the truffles making designs of your choice. Immediately add the desired sprinkles. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
So go ahead, with a few simple steps, you can bring these mouthwatering 4th of July truffles to life in your own kitchen. You can involve the entire family, spreading laughter and bonding moments as you embark on this delightful cooking adventure. If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Happy Holidays!
Other 4th of July desserts you may like to try
This Chocolate Berry Yogurt Mousse Cake is a delightful, light and refreshing dessert perfect for summer days. It consists of two thin layers of chocolate sponge cake, a smooth and creamy yogurt mousse filling and fresh berries. With this cake in white, red and blue colors it can also be an excellent choice for celebrating Fourth of July.
This Berry Cream Cheese Mousse Cake is another great dessert perfect for celebrating 4th of July. With a soft berry sponge cake at the bottom and a berry mousse on top, this dessert will surely impress everybody with its look and taste.
This Fourth of July, let your patriotism shine with an incredible American Flag Cake that will be the star of your party. Picture a moist chocolate cake topped with creamy frosting and adorned with fresh berries, creating a stunning replica of the beautiful American flag.
For more 4th of July desserts check our collection of 30 Unique 4th of July Desserts.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
Summer Berry Meringue Roll
Strawberry Poppy Seed Layer Cake
Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Cake
Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake
Low-Fat Refined Sugar-Free Cheesecake
Cherry Puff Pastry Cake with Caramelized White Chocolate Frosting
Raspberry Almond Ice Cream Cake
Strawberry Basil Panna Cotta Tart
Cream Tart – Number Cake – Alphabet Cake
Chocolate Caramel Truffles
White Chocolate and Coconut Truffles
Chocolate Cake Balls
4th of July Truffles
For the chocolate cake
- 3 tbsp (40ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (80g) flour
- 3 tbsp (25g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) baking soda
- 1/3 cup (80ml) hot water
For the truffle mixture
- 4 oz (120g) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp (30g) chocolate/coffee liqueur
- 2 tsp (8ml) rum extract
- 2 tbsp (30g) oreo crumbs
- 14 oz (400g) white chocolate
- 3 tbsp 30ml) vegetable oil
- 1.7 oz (50g) blue candy melts
- 1/7 oz (50g) red candy melts
Prepare the chocolate cake.
- Line an 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven at 350 F (180 C).
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the oil, egg and sugar, using a hand mixer.
- Add in the milk and mix until incorporated.
- Add in all the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add in the hot water, and mix until incorporated.
- Bake for about 20-30 mins, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
Prepare the cake mixture for truffles
- After the cake is cooled, take a large bowl and crush the cake with a fork.
- Add the mascarpone cheese, the liqueur, rum extract and Oreo crumbs and using your hand, mix all together until you obtain a thick paste.
- Using scooper, scoop the mixture into 36 pieces.
- Push a hazelnut/ M&M/ raisin into the center of each piece and roll into balls.
- Put the truffles in the freezer for at least 30 mins.
Coat the truffles with white chocolate
- Melt the white chocolate and the vegetable oil over a bain marie.
- Using a fork, dip each ball into the melted chocolate and tap off the excess. Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper. Let harden.
- In two separate bowls, add in red and blue candy melts. Microwave them until they are melted, transfer them into two separate piping bags fitted with very small round tips.
- Drizzle the red and blue chocolate over the top of the truffles, making designs of your choice.
- Immediately add the sprinkles. Enjoy!