Creme Caramel is a classic French dessert that has stood the test of time, remaining a beloved favorite for people worldwide. What’s not to love about its soft caramel top, yummy vanilla taste, and creamy texture? This dessert is elegant and really delicious.
The great thing is, that you can make creme caramel ahead of time, which makes it perfect for get-togethers or parties.
How to make creme caramel
First, preheat your oven to 325°F/160°C. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water and heat until it turns golden brown. Quickly pour this caramel into a 7-inch (17cm) cake pan or ramekin, ensuring the sides are coated.
Next, pour milk into the same saucepan and add vanilla bean seeds and the pod. Heat the milk, but don’t let it boil. Set it aside to infuse for a few minutes.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs with sugar and add cornstarch. Pour the infused milk over this mixture. Gently pour this custard over the caramel-coated pan and place it in a larger pan. Add hot water to the bottom pan, about halfway up the sides. Bake until golden for 45 minutes to an hour.
Allow it to cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for a few hours. When serving, turn it out onto a plate.
Hope you will try our easy-to-follow recipe and enjoy this timeless classic dessert with velvety caramel and creamy vanilla. If you do, share the photos with me on Instagram as I would love to see how it turns out for you.
For the topping
- 1/2 cup+2tbsp (120g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
For the custard
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch (optional)
- Heat the oven to 325°F/160°C.
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until the liquid turns golden brown. Immediately, pour the caramel into a 7-inch (18 cm) cake pan coating the sides too.
- Pour the milk into the same saucepan. Add the vanilla bean seeds and the pod into the milk. Heat the milk but do not bring it to a boil, then set aside to infuse for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the cornstarch. Pour the milk over the egg mixture.
- Pour the custard carefully over the prepared pan and place the pan in a larger pan. Pour hot water into the bottom pan to come halfway up the sides. Bake until golden for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cool completely. Then cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. To serve turn out onto a plate.