Creme Caramel is one of the oldest and classic desserts I know but continue to be one of the favorites for many people and served all over the world.
What not to love to soft caramel on top, vanilla flavor and creamy consistency. This desserts is elegant and absolutely delicious.
The best part is that Creme Caramel can be made in advance which makes it perfect for gatherings or parties.
For the topping
- 1/2 cup+2tbsp (120g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
For the custard
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch (optional)
- Heat the oven to 325°F/160°C.
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until the liquid turns golden brown. Immediately, pour the caramel into a 7 inch (18 cm) cake pan coating the sides too.
- Pour the milk into the same saucepan. Add the vanilla bean seeds and the pod into the milk. Heat the milk but do not bring to boil, then set aside to infuse for few minutes.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the corn starch. Pour the milk over the egg mixture.
- Pour the custard carefully over the prepared pan and place the pan in a larger pan. Pour hot water into the bottom pan to come half-way up the sides. Bake until golden for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cool completely. Then cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. To serve turn out onto a plate.