Cheesecake Flan – Puerto Rican Flan de Queso is a very delicate and elegant dessert that can be prepared for any occasion. It is a delightful and popular dessert that holds a special place in Puerto Rican cuisine. It is a variation of the classic flan, infused with the rich and creamy flavors of cheese.
With its smooth and creamy texture, this delicious treat will surely please your taste buds. The irresistible appeal of the caramel syrup enhances its undeniable charm, making it a dessert that you won’t be able to say no to.
The main ingredient in Flan de Queso is cream cheese, which gives it a distinct and luscious texture. The flan is prepared by blending cream cheese, eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and well-combined. The mixture is then poured into a caramel-coated mold or ramekins.
Once baked in a water bath, the flan transforms into a velvety masterpiece. It develops a creamy custard-like consistency with a delicate balance of sweetness and the subtle tanginess of the cream cheese. The caramelized sugar syrup at the bottom of the mold creates a heavenly caramel topping when the flan is inverted for serving.
Tips on making the perfect cheesecake flan
Preparation of this dessert requires a little planning ahead, as the chilling process is crucial to achieving the perfect consistency. Fortunately, the recipe itself is quite simple to follow. Take care to ensure that there are no lumps of cream cheese remaining in the batter, as well as skimming off any foam to prevent the flan from developing a thick skin after baking.
For those who prefer a slightly less sweet caramel, the addition of lemon juice works wonders in balancing the flavors. However, if lemon is not to your liking in desserts, feel free to omit it without hesitation. The inclusion of cream cheese not only adds a delightful texture to the flan but also helps to counterbalance the sweetness of the sweetened condensed milk in the batter.
How to make cheesecake flan
To make this delicious dessert, start by preheating your oven to 350F (180C). In a small saucepan, combine sugar and lemon juice. Heat the mixture over low-medium heat until it melts and turns golden. Remove it from the heat and carefully pour the hot caramel into the bottom of a 9-inch (23cm) pan. Swirl the pan gently to spread the caramel evenly, and set it aside while you prepare the cream cheese mixture.
In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese until it becomes smooth. Gradually add the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Stir well until everything is thoroughly combined. Use a spatula to skim off any foam that forms on the mixture’s surface. Then, pour the cream cheese mixture over the caramel in the pan.
How to bake the flan
Place the pan inside a larger pan and position it on the oven rack. Carefully pour boiling water into the larger pan, filling it halfway up the sides of the smaller pan. This water bath will help ensure even baking. Bake the dessert for 45-50 minutes, or until it is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.
Once the baking is complete, remove the pan from the water bath and allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack. Then, cover the pan and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. When you are ready to serve, run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it, and carefully invert it onto a serving plate.
If you enjoy exploring new desserts, this Cheesecake Flan – Flan de Queso is an absolute delight that shouldn’t be missed. I truly hope that you’ll be tempted to give it a try and feel the pure delight it brings. If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Enjoy the experience!
Other flan recipes you may like to try
This Chocolate Cheesecake Flan is a heavenly dessert combines the silky smoothness of flan with the rich, velvety flavors of chocolate and cream cheese.
This Flan Cake is an irresistible dessert that combines the smooth silky flan with a moist vanilla sponge cake and caramel topping. It is called a magic cake because it separates while baking, making the batter of the cake to come up and once flipped it becomes the bottom of the cake, flan in the middle and caramel syrup on top.
Enjoy the timeless delight of Creme Caramel, a smooth custard dessert with a golden caramel topping. Savor the delicious combination of flavors and textures in every spoonful.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Pastéis de Nata – Portuguese Custard Tarts
Chocolate Magic Custard Cake
Magic Custard Cake
Vanilla Custard Cake
Ding Dong Cake
Vanilla Meringue Mousse Cake
Milk Slice Cake
Strawberry Yogurt Clafoutis
Lavender Honey Custard Tart
Norwegian Verdens Beste
Canelés de Bordeaux
Lemon Ricotta Cake
Recipe slightly adapted after Allrecipes
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) fresh lemon juice , optional
- 1 package (8oz -230g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 5 large eggs , room temperature
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 can (14oz- 397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12oz -350g) evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a small saucepan add sugar and lemon juice. Melt over low-medium heat until golden. Remove from heat and pour the hot caramel into the bottom of a 9 inch (23cm) pan. Swirl the pan to spread evenly. Set aside until you prepare the cream cheese mixture.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Incorporate eggs one at a time, vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Mix well until combined.
- Skim off the foam using a spatula and pour the cream cheese mixture over the caramel into the pan.
- Place the pan in a larger pan, place on oven rack and add boiling water halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until set or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes almost clean.
- Remove the pan from water and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or better overnight.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake to unmold it and invert onto a serving plate.