These Homemade Gnocchi are delicious mouthwatering potato dumplings that can be quite fun to prepare at home. They are a traditional Italian meal perfect for lunch or dinner topped with your favorite sauces and cheese.
Gnocchi are made from boiled potatoes that are mashed and mixed with flour and egg until it gets a dough consistency. The dough is shaped into thin ropes and cut into small pieces. You can simply use a fork to shape the gnocchi no need for special utensils. The gnocchi are then boiled in salted water like regular pasta.
We usually like to serve gnocchi with a simple Marinara Sauce or Bolognese Sauce and Parmesan Cheese, but are also great simple with some pesto or with some roasted vegetables. Homemade Gnocchi are a comforting meal adjustable for any season, and kids love them. Hope you will try them out.
- 2 pounds (1kg) yellow potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- Boil the potatoes with their skin on, until soft. Peel them and mash them well, you can also use a grater. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl mix the mashed potatoes with egg, butter and flour until they bind together. knead until a smooth, sticky dough is formed.
- Dust the hands and working surface with flour and roll into 3/4 inch thick rolls. Cut the rolls into 1/2 inch pieces. Press the top of each piece with a fork. You can either cook the gnocchi or freeze at this point.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Add the gnocchi into the hot water and cook in batches.Let the gnocchi boil until they rise to the surface of the water. Let them boil on the surface another minute and they are done. Remove the gnocchi with a perforated spoon and put them in a greased serving dish.
- Pour your favorite sauce over the gnocchi and serve, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
- If you want to freeze gnocchi you must freeze them uncooked. Put the gnocchi in one layer on a baking tray and place in the freezer. Freeze for about 2-3 hrs. Remove and put the gnocchi on freezer bags. Store in the freezer until ready to cook. Frozen gnocchi must be cooked directly in hot boiling water.