I don’t know how many of you are familiar with this sweet version of cornbread, a rich, sweet bread, moist and flavorful, with a crispy caramelized sugar on top. In our family as a kid, this used to be like a weekly treat, either for breakfast or simply as a snack all day round. My mother and grandmother used to bake it in the outside oven, and the smell while baking is simply irresistible.
The recipe is so easy, requires nos special equipment, all you need is a whisk and basic ingredients you already have in your pantry. Kids especially love this bread, and is a great recipe to prepare together with them. Hope you will try this Easy Sweet Cornbread. Enjoy!
Easy Sweet Cornbread
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) oil
- 2 cups (500g) plain yogurt
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (180g) cornmeal
- 2 ¼ tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (40g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (20g) semolina flour
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line a 8 or 9 inch (20 or 23 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk whole eggs with sugar. Gradually add oil and whisk to combine. Incorporate plain yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Stir in cornmeal, all purpose flour, baking powder and semolina flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the two tablespoons of sugar on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The sugar on top gets caramelized and crispy.
- Serve warm or cold alongside a cup of milk. Enjoy!