I am so glad I can share with you this flavorful German Apple Streusel Cake -Apfelkuchen mit Streusel. I have tried many apple recipes and I can assure you, this is one of the best apple cakes I have ever made. It is so comforting, a perfect dessert for cozy fall days.
The cake consists of a soft crust with a tender and juicy apple and cinnamon filling and a crispy buttery crumble on top with toasted flaked almonds. You can serve it as is, or with whipped cream, ice cream or salted caramel sauce.
How to make German Apple Streusel Cake.
This apple cake is really easy to prepare. First, you need to make the cake crust. For this, you have to prepare an easy buttery dough. Mix butter with sugar until creamy, add then add the egg and vanilla. Incorporate the dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking powder. Use your hands to flatten the dough onto the bottom and sides of the cake pan. Refrigerate the crust until you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Now it is time to prepare the streusel. For this you have to mix flour with sugar, salt and cinnamon. Incorporate butter using a fork. Add flaked almonds and set aside until you prepare the apple filling.
Peel and core the apples and cut them into slices. Place the cut apples into a large bowl and add some lemon juice to prevent apples from turning brown. Add some cinnamon and toss to coat.
Place the apples over the crust and top with the almond streusel. Bake until golden brown and let cool before serving. This cake is so satisfying and comforting that worth all the effort. Everybody will love it and ask for more.
If you like apple desserts you may also like this amazing Caramel Apple Crisp Cheesecake or this Apple Meringue Cake. If you like nuts and apple combination you have to try this Apple Walnut Caramel Cake. For breakfast you can try these delicious Apple Crisp Pancakes or Apple French Toast Roll Ups.
Hope you will try this German Apple Streusel Cake and let me know if you try it out. Enjoy as we sure did.
German Apple Streusel Cake – Apfelkuchen mit Streusel
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp (95g) butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg
- 1 ½ cup (190g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 4-5 apples (about 25 oz -700g)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2g) cinnamon
Streusel Almond Topping
- 2/3 cup (80g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (56g) butter , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (30g) flaked almonds
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8-inch (20cm) pan and line with parchment paper.
Prepare the cake crust.
- In a large mixing bowl add butter and sugar and mix to combine. Incorporate egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine. With the mixer on low incorporate the baking powder, salt and flour. When the mixture gets crumbly and thick, use a spatula and mix until well combined.
- Flatten the dough with your hands on the bottom and up the sides of the pan, about 1.5 inches (4cm) high. Use flour to avoid sticking. Refrigerate until you prepare the apple filling and the almond streusel.
Prepare the almond streusel topping.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar with all-purpose flour, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine, then add softened butter with a fork until the mixture feels crumbly. Gently fold in the flaked almonds. Refrigerate or set aside until ready to use.
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into slices. Transfer the apple slices into a large bowl and add lemon juice and cinnamon. Toss to combine.
- Place the apple slices into the pan over the crust.
- Top with the almond streusel.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. If the streusel is browning too quickly cover with aluminum foil and continue baking.
- Let cool in the pan.
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving. Serve as is or with salted caramel sauce, whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!