This irresistible Low Fat Refined Sugar Free Cheesecake is one of the most delightful refined sugar free desserts you can ever prepare. It consists of a refined sugar free cookie crust followed by a creamy and smooth yogurt and light cream cheese layer, topped with fresh strawberries and all drizzled with refined sugar free strawberry sauce.
I have to admit I was quite surprised by the amazing results, as no one could ever tell it is not made with full fat cream cheese or without refined sugar. For this low fat cheesecake recipe I have used 2% fat Greek Yogurt and I must say it worked just great. I started to love using Greek yogurt in various dessert recipes and besides being a great choice for a low fat ingredient I am always pleased with the flavor and texture it brings. This cheesecake recipe is definitely healthier with less calories per slice, but with the same creamy texture as the classic one.
As for the sugar, I have substituted the refined sugar with honey or maple syrup for the cream cheese layer and with orange juice for the strawberry sauce. Depending on how sweet or tart the strawberries are, feel free to add some honey in the end, if you need the sauce a bit sweeter.
This cheesecake is really easy and quick to prepare. The cookie crust comes in no minute, the yogurt cream cheese can be easily prepared using a hand mixer or a food processor and the strawberry sauce is done in less than 10 minutes. You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for the sauce which makes it a great healthier dessert choice all year round.
This Low Fat Refined Sugar Free Cheesecake has quickly became a favorite family dessert and is a great idea for whenever you are craving sweets and cakes but need to stay away from fat and refined sugar.
Low Fat Refined Sugar Free Cheesecake
- 7 oz (200g) refined sugar free cookies or graham crackers
- 1/4 cup (60g) melted butter(or coconut oil)
Refined Sugar Free Yogurt Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 pound (450g) light cream cheese , room temperature
- 1 pound (450g) 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (150g) honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3 eggs , room temperature
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (16g) cornstarch
Refined Sugar Free Strawberry Sauce
- 9 oz (250g) fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- 2-3 tsp honey or maple syrup , optional
- fresh strawberries
- Prepare the crust. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and line with parchment paper a 8 inch (20cm) springform pan (with a removable base). Place the refined sugar free cookies or graham crackers into the bowl of a food processor and crush until crumbs form. Add melted butter or coconut oil and mix until evenly moistened.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F (150C).
- Prepare yogurt cream cheese filling. In a large bowl mix the light cream cheese with honey (maple syrup) until smooth. Add salt, lemon zest, vanilla extract and cornstarch and mix until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time until each egg is incorporated. Add yogurt and mix until well combined. Try to not overmix the batter to incorporate as little air as possible.
- Pour the yogurt cream cheese mixture over the prepared crust.
- Bake at 300F (150C) for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and leave it another hour in the oven.
- Remove and run a sharp knife around the inside edge of the pan. Let it cool completely at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare the refined sugar free strawberry sauce. Place strawberries and orange juice into a small saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until thickens and remove from heat. Sieve to remove the seeds. Set aside to cool. If it seems it needs more sweetness add 2-3 teaspoons of honey and stir to combine.
- Top the cheesecake with fresh strawberries and serve with strawberry sauce if desired and enjoy!