This Easy Lemon Ricotta Cake is a delightful dessert that effortlessly combines the tangy flavor of lemons with the creamy richness of ricotta cheese. This simple yet impressive cake is an Italian-inspired dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply craving a sweet treat to enjoy with your afternoon tea, its tangy lemon flavor and creamy ricotta texture is sure to please.
The cake features a moist and tender crumb, thanks to the addition of creamy ricotta cheese in the batter. The ricotta not only adds a velvety texture but also lends a subtle richness that complements the bright and zesty lemon flavor. The combination of these two ingredients creates a harmonious balance that is sure to tantalize your taste buds. The cake is like a combination between a cheesecake and a sponge cake that simply melts in your mouth.
What makes this recipe truly irresistible is its simplicity. With just a handful of basic ingredients and straightforward instructions, even novice bakers can achieve incredible results. From start to finish, this cake can be whipped up in under an hour, making it an ideal choice for those times when you need a quick and impressive dessert.
How to make lemon ricotta cake
To prepare this easy lemon ricotta cake, begin by preheating your oven to 340F (170C). Next, lightly grease an 8-inch (20cm) springform pan, and ensure the bottom and sides are lined with parchment paper. It’s important that the sides are approximately 4 inches (10cm) in height to accommodate the cake mixture.
Now, separate the egg whites from the yolks. Take the yolks and whisk them together with ½ cup (100g) of sugar and the zest of two lemons. Add in the vanilla extract and freshly squeezed lemon juice, and mix everything together until well combined. Incorporate the flour and ricotta cheese into the mixture, ensuring they are thoroughly mixed.
In a separate bowl, sprinkle a pinch of salt over the egg whites. Begin whipping the whites until they become foamy, gradually adding ⅓ cup (70g) of sugar as you continue to mix. Keep whisking until soft peaks start to form.
Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the ricotta mixture, ensuring they are fully incorporated without overmixing. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top to create an even surface.
Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until the cake turns a golden color. Once baked, allow the cake to cool completely.
Before serving, invert the cake onto a serving platter and add a dusting of powdered sugar to the top of the cake for an elegant touch. You can also decorate with lemon slices and halves of fresh strawberries if desired.
This Easy Lemon Ricotta Cake is a crowd-pleaser that will leave your guests craving more. Its light and refreshing flavors make it a perfect dessert for spring and summer, but it’s equally enjoyable all year round. So, go ahead and indulge in a slice of this delightful cake for a truly memorable dessert experience. If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you. Enjoy!
Other lemon recipes you may like to try
Indulge in a luscious, no-bake dessert featuring the perfect blend of creamy white chocolate, tangy lemon, and juicy blueberries with our No-Bake White Chocolate Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake.
This Lemon Meringue Tart combines a buttery, flaky crust with a smooth and zesty lemon filling, topped with a fluffy and toasted meringue. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart, creating a mouthwatering treat that will leave you craving more.
Indulge in the perfect harmony of flavors with our Blueberry Lemon Bundt Cake as sweet blueberries meet tangy lemon in this moist and tender bundt cake. With its beautiful golden crust and bursts of blueberry goodness, this cake is a delightful centerpiece for any gathering.
Easy Lemon Ricotta Cake
- 4 medium eggs , separated
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar , for mixing with the yolks
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp (45ml) lemon juice
- 2 cups (480g) Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar , for whipping the egg whites
- powdered sugar
- lemon slices
- fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 340F (170C). Lightly grease an 8-inch (20cm) springform pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper. The sides need to be about 4-inch (10 cm) in height.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Whisk the yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar and lemon zest. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Mix in the flour and ricotta cheese and mix until well combined.
- Add salt over the whites and start whipping until foamy. Gradually add ⅓ cup (70g) sugar and continue mixing until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whites into the ricotta mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden. Let it cool completely.
- Before serving, invert the cake onto a serving platter.
- Dust with powdered sugar and decorate with lemon slices and fresh strawberry halves. Enjoy!