Here we are at the beginning of the year. Trying to eat healthier is probably for many of us a new year resolution. I am so excited to share with you the recipe for the best veggie burgers I have ever tried, that will make a great lunch or dinner idea. It is so delightful, that even the meat lovers will consider switching the beef burgers for these veggie ones, at least from time to time.
My family and I really loved these sweet potato burgers and we were quite surprised by their incredible flavor and texture as I must say they surpassed our expectations.
These easy veggie burger patties are made with sweet potatoes and beans as main ingredients and are full of fiber and very nutritious. As the sweet potatoes and half of the beans are mashed together, the patties hold their shape very well without being mushy.
Depending on the size of your burger buns you can shape the sweet potato burgers larger or smaller or as thick or thin you desire. Another great thing is that these veggie burger patties can also freeze very well and have for later use.
The patties can be cooked on a hot skillet for a few minutes on each side until crisp and golden or you can even consider baking them.
We have served these veggie burgers with a flavorful freshly made avocado sauce, BBQ sauce and toppings like lettuce, tomato and onion rings. Feel free to choose your favorite toppings and sauces to suit your own tastes. Hope I have convinced you to try these out and enjoy as much as we did!
Veggie Burgers - Sweet Potato Burger Patties
Sweet Potato Burger Patties
- 1 pound (500g) sweet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes)
- 1 can (400g) red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2-3 spring onions
- 1 red pepper , finely chopped
- 2/3 cup (70g) quick oats
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (1g) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (1g) coriander
- 1 ½ tsp (5g) smoked paprika
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil , for cooking the patties
Avocado Yogurt Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup (60g) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5g) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4-6 cheese slices
- burger buns
- Tomato slices
- fresh lettuce
- Red onion rings
- BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Cut sweet potatoes in about 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Place the sweet potatoes into a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle potatoes with cumin and olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Prepare the patties. In a large bowl, mash half of the beans, using a masher or simply a fork.
- Add sweet potato and mash together with the beans. Add the remaining beans, red pepper, chopped onion, garlic, oats, spices, salt and pepper. Stir together to combine.
- Divide mixture into 4 and form into 4 burger patties. (if your burger buns are smaller you can divide the mixture to form more patties).Refrigerate the patties for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the avocado sauce.
- Mash the avocado with a fork. Add lemon juice, garlic, ang yogurt and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper and mix to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Cook sweet potato burger patties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. (You can also consider baking the patties in the 375 (190C) preheated oven for 30-35 minutes).
- While the patties are cooking, toast the burger bun halves, in the same skillet.
- Add cheese on top of the patties about 2 minutes before the patties are finished cooking.
- Assemble the burger.
- Spread avocado yogurt sauce over the burger bun halves. Top with lettuce, add the burger with cheese, BBQ sauce if used, tomato and red onion slices. Top with the other half of the burger bun, secure with a skewer and enjoy!