This No-knead Cheese Bread is another great bread recipe I want to share with you. A perfect crusty bread, with an elastic and chewy crumb texture, packed with cheese aroma and a hint of garlic, it is simply an amazing way to welcome the cold season.
The smell of bread and cheese while baking makes this bread even more tempting and irresistible.
This recipe doesn’t require kneading the dough which makes it very easy to prepare. It takes time though, so you need to start preparing the dough a day before. All you have to do is make sure to mix well all the ingredients and let it rise overnight for about 16-18 hours. A very small amount of yeast is used in this case and it results in a very sticky dough. It is essential to bake it in a cast iron pot to get an amazing crispy golden brown crust.
I guess there is no need to say that this no-knead bread is perfect for sandwiches, soups, stews and any other meals. Try it out my friends, it is amazing.
Caramelized Onion Bread
Recipe slightly adapted after The Tough Cookie
No-Knead Cheese Bread
- 4 cups (500g) all purpose flour/bread flour
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2g) garlic powder
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar cheese , grated
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) water
- 3g fresh yeast (or 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- flour for dusting
- corn flour for dusting
- Extra cheese for the top , optional
- In a large bowl mix flour with salt, garlic powder and grated cheese.
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in ¼ cup (60ml) water and add to the flour mixture. Add the rest of 1 ¼ cup (300ml) water and mix just until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 16-18 hours at room temperature.
- On a floured surface shape the dough into a ball using a dough scraper as the dough is really sticky to the touch. Sprinkle flour and cornmeal over a clean towel, add the dough and cover. Let the dough rise for another 2 hours.
- Turn the oven to 470F (240C) and add a 9 inch (23cm) round cast iron pot inside without the lid. Leave it in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cast iron pot from the oven, turn the dough into the pan, add some grated cheese on top if desired and put the lid on. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 470F (240C) with the lid on to create steam.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 20 minutes at 440F (230C) to let the bread get some crispy golden brown crust.
- Let it cool completely before cutting the bread.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
What to use instead of garlic powder? Thank you.
You can use fresh garlic if you like.. 1 or 2 cloves.. hope you will try it out
Mmmm this bread is gorgeous-and I love the addition of cheese!
This bread turned out awesome!!!!! And very easy to make, thank you so much!!!
Couldn't be more happy to hear that Hector
Hi, is there any substitute for corn flour that I can easily find in store?
I made it and it was so good that i ruined my diet to eat it .. i felt so guilty after eating it but it was worth it ????????????
Does the pot you put in the oven have to be cast iron? I haven’t got a cast iron pot with a lid, can I use a stainless steel one instead?
Yes,a stainless steel pot can be used.
This bread looks so yummmmm I cannot wait to make it. I do not however have a pot with a lid for the oven. What do you suggest instead? Would it work if I used a bread pan and put a bowl of water underneath to create steam? Thank you! And I love your channel!!
You can use a bread pan and ,for the steam, a bowl of water.
Hi! I love this bread! It tastes as good as Panera’s bread! I have a question, the bottom of my bread burned. What can I do differently to make sure it doesn’t burn again? I have an electric oven so I know they say the temperature fluctuates moreso than a gas oven and I used an enameled cast iron Dutch oven instead of a regular cast iron. I also used a piece of parchment to put the bread into the Dutch oven, since I thought it’d be easier and less likely to burn myself, lol. Any help you can give would be great! Thank you so much for your help and for sharing this delicious recipe!
I am sorry , but i don' t know what might have happened; maybe you left it to much in the oven?
Can you add peppers?
4 cups of flour and 1 1/2 cups of water did not result in a sticky dough for me. In fact, it was crumbly and I had difficulty getting the flour incorporated. Can you check the amounts I your recipe?
hello love the recipe. question could i use a cast iron without a lid and put a bow under the cast iron to create stem?