This White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Layer Cake is one of the most elegant and delicate cakes you can ever prepare. It is flavored with oranges and cranberries, making this cake so festive and perfect for celebrating Thanksgiving or Christmas. The cake consists of thin layers of sponge cake filled with white chocolate orange frosting and cranberry orange jam. It is bursting with flavor and it simply melts in your mouth.
How to make White Chocolate Cranberry Layer Cake
I love making this kind of layer cake, as it is so easy to prepare but look very impressive. First, prepare the cranberry orange jam so it has time to cool. You can use either fresh or frozen cranberries for this, and place them in a medium saucepan, with sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickens. Sieve and set aside until ready to fill the cake.
Now you can prepare the vanilla sponge cake layers. You need to divide the batter into two large sheet pans for this cake. This will create thin layers. The time o baking will be much reduced compared to baking in a smaller pan. Being so thin, they will also cool pretty fast.
Once the vanilla sponge cake is cooling down you can start preparing the white chocolate and orange cream cheese frosting. This is one of my favorite frostings that I have already used in various recipes like in this White Chocolate Pineapple Cake.
Now it is time to assemble the cake. Cut each sponge in half. Place one-half of the sponge cake on a serving platter. Spread a layer of white chocolate frosting. Add the second layer of cake. Spread the cranberry orange jam. Top with the third layer of cake and spread with white chocolate frosting. Add the last layer of sponge cake and top the cake with the frosting. Smooth the top and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
Decorate as desired and hope you will enjoy this White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Layer Cake as much as we did. Would be delighted to see your creations on this, so don’t forget to tag me on Instagram whenever you have the chance.
For more cranberry desserts you may also like this Cranberry White Chocolate Meringue Roll, or this Triple Chocolate Cranberry Mousse Cake. If you are in a cookie mood you may like these Cranberry Orange Cookies. This Cranberry Pistachio Fudge is also a festive treat that everybody will adore.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Chocolate Layer Cake
Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake
Black Forest Mousse Cake
White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Layer Cake
Makes about 10-12 servings
Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 8 eggs , separated
- 1 cup (200g) sugar , divided
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
Orange Cranberry Jam
- 7 oz (200g) cranberries , fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) orange juice
- Zest from an orange
White Chocolate Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz (180g) white chocolate , small pieces
- 1/4 cup (60g) whipping cream
- 13 oz (360g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cup (400g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- zest from an orange
- Sugar-coated cranberries or red currants
- Whipped cream
Prepare the cranberry orange jam.
- Place cranberries, sugar, orange juice and orange zest into a saucepan and boil while stirring constantly.
- Simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until thickens. Sieve and set aside to cool until ready to use.
Prepare the vanilla sponge cake layers.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line two 12×16 inch (30x40cm) baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Add ¾ cup (150g) sugar over the yolks and mix until creamy. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Incorporate flour and baking powder into the yolk mixture.
- Add salt to the egg whites. Whip whites until foamy. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Gently and gradually fold the whites into the yolk mixture.
- Divide batter evenly into the prepared baking sheets. Spread the batter evenly and bake for about 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Prepare the white chocolate orange cream cheese frosting.
- Place white chocolate and ¼ cup (60g) cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and orange zest and mix to combine. Mix in the melted chocolate. Add whipping cream and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the cake.
- Cut each sponge cake in half.
- Place a bit of frosting onto a serving platter. Add the first layer of sponge cake. Spread evenly up to ⅓ of white chocolate frosting.
- Add the second layer of cake.
- Spread the cranberry orange jam.
- Add the third layer of cake.
- Spread evenly up to ⅓ of white chocolate frosting.
- Add the last layer of cake.
- Top with white chocolate frosting.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
- Trim the edges of the cake and cut into 8-12 rectangle slices.
- Using a 1M tip pipe whipped cream or remaining frosting on top of each slice. Decorate with sugar-coated cranberries or red currants. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.