Pistachio Pudding is a delightful and indulgent dessert that combines the rich and nutty flavor of pistachios with a smooth and creamy texture. This luscious treat is a favorite among dessert enthusiasts and is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
The key ingredient in pistachio pudding is, of course, pistachios. These small, green nuts are known for their distinct flavor and vibrant color. Process them carefully into a thick paste, and then incorporate it into the pudding mixture. This process ensures that every spoonful of the pudding is bursting with the natural essence of pistachios.
To make the velvety pudding base use a combination of milk, sugar, egg and cornstarch. Heat the mixture on the stovetop, allowing the cornstarch to thicken and create a silky-smooth consistency. Once the pudding reaches the desired thickness, remove it from the heat. Flavor it with a touch of vanilla extract and almond extract, enhancing the nuttiness of the pistachios.
You can enjoy pistachio pudding in various ways. Serve it chilled, allowing the pudding to set and become firm, or enjoy it warm for a comforting dessert experience. You can also use pistachio pudding as a filling for cakes, pies, or pastries, adding a burst of flavor and texture to these baked goods.
With its vibrant green hue and delectable taste, pistachio pudding is not only a treat for the taste buds but also a feast for the eyes. Its vibrant color makes it a visually appealing dessert, perfect for special occasions or as a sweet ending to a meal.
How to make pistachio pudding
To prepare the pistachio paste, place the pistachios into the bowl of a food processor. Add powdered sugar and salt, then process for about 5 minutes until a thick paste forms. Gradually incorporate ⅔ cup (160ml) and continue processing to combine.
For the pistachio pudding, mix the egg, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add cornstarch and mix to combine. Gradually pour the pistachio milk mixture over the egg mixture and process to combine. Set aside while heating the remaining milk.
In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the remaining milk (2 cups-480ml) to a boil. Remove from heat and gradually add some hot milk to the egg mixture, to temper the egg. Pour the mixture over the remaining hot milk, whisking continuously. Place it over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens for approximately 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and almond extract.
Divide the pudding into serving dishes. Cover them with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and allow them to cool. Before serving, garnish the pudding with whipped cream, chopped pistachios, and fresh raspberries.
Whether you savor it on its own or use it as a versatile ingredient in other desserts, pistachio pudding is a true culinary delight. Its unique combination of flavors and creamy texture make it a must-try for any dessert lover seeking a little nutty indulgence. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out for you. Don’t forget to share the photos with me on Instagram. Enjoy!
Other pudding recipes you may like to try
Try our Vanilla and Chocolate Pudding recipe for a smooth and velvety dessert with a subtle sweetness, combining the rich vanilla flavors with luscious chocolate notes.
Dive into a heavenly blend of smooth and silky chocolate delight, offering an extra creamy and luxurious pudding experience with our Creamy Chocolate Pudding.
Experience pure chocolate bliss with this delectable Chocolate Pudding Cake, combining the richness of a moist cake with the irresistible allure of chocolate pudding.
This Strawberry Bread Pudding combines the softness of bread with the sweetness of ripe strawberries, creating a heavenly combination that is both comforting and refreshing.
For Pistachio Paste
- 1 cup (100g) unsalted pistachios , raw or toasted
- 1 tbsp (8g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
For the Pudding
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (40g) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (2g) salt
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp (3g) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5g) almond extract
- green food coloring , optional
Prepare the pistachio paste.
- Place the pistachios into the bowl of a food processor. Add powdered sugar and salt and process for about 5 minutes until it gets into a thick paste.
- Gradually incorporate ⅔ cup (160ml) and process to combine.
Prepare the pistachio pudding.
- In a medium bowl mix the egg with sugar and salt. Add cornstarch and mix to combine. Gradually add the pistachio milk mixture over the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Set aside while you heat the rest of the milk.
- In a medium sized saucepan bring the rest of the milk (2 cups-480ml) to a boil.
- Remove from heat and gradually add some hot milk over the egg mixture. Pour it over the remaining hot milk whisking the whole time.
- Place it over medium heat and cook stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and almond extract. You can also add some green food coloring at this point, but this is optional.
- Divide the pudding into serving dishes.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and let them cool.
- Before serving, decorate the pudding with whipped cream, chopped pistachios and fresh raspberries. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Hi ! Thank you for that recipe ! I t looks delicious 🙂
Question : would you be able to tell us the quantity of pistachio paste it makes (for the first step) ? As I have store bough pistachio paste, so I would not need to make it ?
thank you for all your great deserts !
Didn’t weight it after turning them into paste.. but normally it should get around 100-110g of pistachio paste which you then combine with a 2/3 cup (160ml) milk.
Thank you for that insight. It is delicious ❤️
Hola Ella,estoy pensando hacer este postre. Después de hacerlo debería ir a la nevera verdad? Y la nata montada sería en el momento de servir no? Gracias!!!
Sí… puedes refrigerar el budín si quieres servirlo frío como lo hicimos nosotros… También puedes servirlo tibio. Me gusta agregar la crema batida solo antes de servir.