- Easy Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Starter from Scratch
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Bread - 4 Ingredient Bread
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie
- Tortilla de Patatas - Spanish Omelette - Tortilla Española
- Oatmeal Lace Cookie Cups with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Jam
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
Baked Potato Cheese Balls
Watch the video for this recipe:
No wonder why potatoes are so loved all over the world. There are endless ways to prepare them and are simply delicious.
These potato cheese balls are crispy, with gooey melted cheese in the middle, easy to prepare, healthy and really addictive. They can also be made from leftover mashed potatoes but I preferred boiling the potatoes with their skin-on for this recipe only. This is a step you can do ahead of time, even a day in advance. Peel only before going further with the recipe.
Kids love them too and it is a great snack or appetizer. Serve while still warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Recipe slightly adapted after Kitchen Sanctuary
- Makes about 20 balls
- 1 pound (450g) potatoes, boiled with their skin on and chilled
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2g) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup (70g) cheddar cheese, cut in 1/2 inch (1cm) cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bread crumbs mixture
- 1 cup (60g) panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp (2g) smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp (15g) oil
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a large bowl mash the potatoes using a potato masher or grate using the small holes of the grater.
- Add green onion, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl combine panko bread crumbs with smoked paprika and oil, until oil is absorbed.
- Dust your hands with flour, take about a spoon of potato mixture, flatten and add a cheese cube in the center. Wrap and form into a ball. Roll in flour, dip in egg and then roll in panko mixture, pressing if necessary to stick well. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Place the ball into a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and crisp. Don’t overbake or the cheese will start to seep out.
- Cool for a few minutes before serving.