Watch the video for this recipe:
Cheese Soufflé is an amazing savory dish with a great flavor and texture. These airy and fluffy souffles are made with three types of cheese, Swiss, Cheddar and Parmesan that bring an intense flavor and make them totally irresistible. You can prepare soufflé in a large soufflé dish or in individual portions, either way it is a great dish you can prepare for special occasions or simply for lunch or dinner.
Souffles are rising in the oven due to the whipped whites so it is best to be served right after taking them out of the oven as they can deflate quite quickly. Souffles can be served alongside crusty bread or toast, fresh salad, crispy bacon ot whatever you like best.
You can also use various cheeses or add different spices and herbs to your souffles according to your own tastes. The recipe is easy and with impressive results every time, so don’t be afraid to try it out as it totally worth it. Enjoy!
- Makes 4 servings
- 3 tbsp (40g) butter
- 1/3 cup (40g) flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5g) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (50g) Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (50g) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (25g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- For coating the ramekins
- butter and breadcrumbs for coating the ramekins
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190C). Place a baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven. Butter 4 ramekins of 8-9 oz (230-250ml) capacity and coat the bottom and sides with fine breadcrumbs. Discard excess breadcrumbs.
- Separate whites from yolks and set aside until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and stir until smooth, and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until bubbling. Gradually stir in milk, until mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes more or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Add egg yolks one at a time and then add salt, paprika, Dijon mustard and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer mixture to a larger bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl whip whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold the whipped whites into the cheese mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly into the prepared ramekins. Sprinkle grated parmesan on top of each.
- Place the ramekins onto the preheated baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins until golden and puffed.
- Serve immediately. You can serve the souffle alongside a fresh salad and crusty or toasted bread. Enjoy!