This Sweet Potato Soufflé is one of the most comforting side dishes perfect for the fall season. It is the season of cozy, warm, delicious meals like this mashed sweet potato dish. With a crispy top and a light and fluffy interior, this flavorful souffle is best served hot right out of the oven.
This souffle is packed with a lot of flavors, as it combines mashed sweet potato with two types of cheese, Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese, eggs and a pinch of nutmeg. The whipped egg whites are making the souffle rise in the oven which makes it quite an impressive dish and a perfect choice for holiday tables or friend gatherings as well.
How to make sweet potato souffle.
Even though it may not seem like it, the recipe for this sweet potato souffle is very easy. First, you need to cook the potatoes. You can boil, roast, or microwave the potatoes, preferably with their skin on. When cooled slightly, mash the potato using a potato masher.
Butter the ramekins and coat with fine breadcrumbs and set them aside. Preheat a baking sheet while preparing the souffle mixture.
Separate whites from yolks. Add the yolks to the mashed sweet potatoes and mix them in. Add cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg, melted butter and cream. Mix them in and set them aside. Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form and gently fold them into the potato mixture.
Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared ramekins and top each soufflé with Parmesan, paprika and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes until puffed and golden.
Serve immediately, while still hot alongside a fresh salad, crispy bacon or meat.
Hope you will try this delightful Sweet Potato Soufflé and enjoy as much as we did.
Sweet Potato Soufflé
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter , plus extra for greasing
- 4 tsp breadcrumbs , for coating the ramekins
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (14 oz-400g) , cooked with peel on
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (100g) Cheddar cheese , grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp (4g) salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120ml) light cream
- 1/4 cup (25g) Parmesan Cheese , grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the sweet potatoes, with their skin on, for about 17-20 minutes or until tender. Let them cool slightly. You can also microwave the sweet potatoes or roast them in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven. Butter 4 ramekins of 8-9 oz (230-250ml) capacity and coat the bottom and sides with fine breadcrumbs. Discard excess breadcrumbs.
- Separate whites from yolks and set aside until ready to use.
- Peel the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. Mash the potatoes using a potato masher.
- Add the egg yolks and salt and mix to combine.
- Stir in grated cheddar cheese, a pinch of nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add melted butter and light cream and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold the whipped whites into the potato mixture.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared ramekins. Sprinkle Parmesan, freshly ground black pepper and paprika on top of each.
- Place the ramekins onto the preheated baking sheet and bake at 425°F (220°C) for 25-30 mins until golden and puffed.
- Serve immediately. You can serve the souffle alongside a fresh salad, meat and crusty or toasted bread. Enjoy!