- Easy Halloween Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
- Chocolate Medovik - Chocolate Honey Cake
- Easy Refined Sugar Free Chocolate Cake
- Spaghetti Pie
- Bloomin Baked Potatoes
- Chocolate Norwegian Cake - Chocolate Verdens Beste
- Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
Chocolate Taiwanese Castella Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
I simply fell in love with Taiwanese Castella Cake that I had to make in a chocolate version as well. Both versions are simply delightful and simply irresistible. This Chocolate Taiwanese Castella Cake is as delicate as the vanilla version, with a soft, moist, fluffy and chocolaty crumb.
The recipe is easy, for this chocolate version you need both chocolate and good quality cocoa powder. As for the vanilla version, it is essential to follow the same steps if you want your Castella cake to turn right. Room temperature eggs, cake flour for best results and egg whites need to be whipped to soft peaks not stiff peaks to avoid cracks. Use hot but not boiling water for the water bath so it won’t rise too fast and crack the top. If you take in count all these steps your Chocolate Castella Cake should turn great.
We have enjoyed this Chocolate Taiwanese Castella Cake as much or even more than the vanilla version. I highly recommend you give it a try as it is absolutely amazing . Enjoy!
- Makes about 6-8 servings
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 oz (60g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 6 tbsp (80g) oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (90g) cake flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300F (150C). Line with parchment paper the bottom and sides of a 8 inch (20cm) square pan. (preferably not a pan with a removable base, in this case you would need to wrap the pan with heavy duty aluminum foil).
- Separate whites from yolks and let them get to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder set aside.
- In a medium saucepan add oil (or butter if preferred),milk and chocolate and place over low heat just until chocolate is melted. Don’t boil or simmer.
- Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture and mix to combine. Add egg yolks and mix to incorporate. Add vanilla extract, mix and set aside.
- Add salt over egg whites, and whip until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue mixing until soft peaks form. Make sure you don’t over whip, otherwise your cake might get cracked.
- Gently fold in the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and rap the pan a few times to get rid of large air pockets.
- Place the pan into a larger baking tray and add warm to hot water, not boiling, into the pan, up to halfway of the pan.
- Place into the oven on the second bottom rack not middle and bake for 1 hour and remove the pan from the baking tray.
- Serve cold or slightly warm and enjoy!