I love Waldorf Salad. It is one of the most comforting fall salads you can ever make. The Waldorf Salad is a fresh fall salad made with celery, apples, red grapes and walnuts, dressed up with mayonnaise and sour cream dressing, and served over a bed of fresh salad. It is very flavorful and makes a great side dish for lunch or dinner and a perfect choice for holiday tables.
This salad is known to have originated in the 19th century at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. The recipe was made with only apples, celery and mayonnaise by that time. Walnuts and grapes are later additions, bringing a lot of flavor and texture to the original. I’ve wanted to share the recipe with you ever since I was first introduced to it, many years ago. I am glad I finally can come up with a straightforward recipe that you can easily reproduce at home.
How to make Waldorf Salad.
For this recipe, I recommend using celery root, also known as celeriac. Celery root has a great earthy flavor and is perfect for salads and dips. Peel the celery root, cut it into smaller pieces and boil it for 3 minutes only, as we still want to keep its crispy texture. Once cooled, cut it into thin strips.
Toast the walnuts in a pan stirring constantly and chop roughly if desired. Let them cool before adding them to the salad.
Cut the grapes into haves or quarters, remove seeds if desired and add to the celery strips. You can always substitute the grapes with raisins if that is what suits you best.
Only now, core the apple and cut it into small pieces with the skin on. Add lemon juice the salad, to prevent apples from turning brown. Add parsley, dill, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
Make a quick dressing with mayonnaise and sour cream, and mix it with the salad. Serve the Waldorf salad over a bed of fresh salad and enjoy one of the most flavorful salads ever.
If you like fall salads you my also like this Broccoli Cauliflower Salad or this Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese and Candied Bacon.
If you like celery root recipes you may also like this Celery Root Salad which makes a great side dish or appetizer.
Hope you will try this Waldorf Salad and let me know if you try it out. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Mediterranean Summer Pasta Salad
- 7 oz (200g) celery root
- 1 cup (100g) walnuts , toasted
- 1 cup (150g) red grapes , halved or quartered
- 1 large apple (9 oz – 250g) , cored and cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30g) sour cream
- 1 tbsp dill , chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley , chopped
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Homemade mayonnaise – makes ¼ cup (70g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp (2,5g) mustard
- 1/4 cup (56ml) vegetable oil
Make the homemade mayonnaise.
- Put the egg yolk and the mustard in a small bowl. Mix and gradually add oil while mixing until all oil is well incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the salad.
- Peel the celery root and boil it for 3 minutes. Let it cool and cut into thin strips. Transfer the celery stick to a large salad bowl.
- Toast the walnuts in a pan while stirring constantly. Let them cool.
- Cut the grapes into halves or quarters and transfer them to the salad bowl.
- Core the apple and cut it into small pieces. Transfer the apple to the salad bowl, add lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Add toasted walnuts, salt, freshly ground black pepper, parsley and dill. Mix to combine.
- Mix mayonnaise with sour cream and add to the salad bowl.
- Mix gently to coat evenly.
- Serve over a bed of fresh salad. Decorate with toasted walnuts and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.