This Magic Custard Cake is a delicious dessert that brings back fond memories of my childhood. My mother used to make it quite often, especially during the summer months when we craved something light and refreshing. Recreating this dessert after such a long time was a pleasant experience for me, and it turned out just as I remembered it.
What makes this cake so magical is the way it forms into three distinct layers while baking. The top layer is spongy, the middle layer is a creamy custard, and the bottom layer is dense. The addition of lemon zest really adds a delicate flavor to the cake, making it an impressive and elegant dessert for any occasion. It’s also incredibly easy to prepare, so you can whip it up in no time!
One of the best things about this magic custard cake is how versatile it is. You can make a Chocolate Magic Custard Cake, or make it with citrus fruits, berries, or any other favorite fruit. The possibilities are endless! In fact, at the beginning of my blog, I shared a recipe for a magic custard cake made with cherries, which I called Cherry Summer Dessert. It’s the perfect dessert to enjoy during the cherry season and is always a hit with friends and family.
How to make magic custard cake
To begin, preheat the oven to 300F (150C) and prepare an 8×8 inch (20x20cm) pan by greasing and lining it with parchment paper. Next, separate the egg whites from the yolks and mix the yolks with sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and lemon zest until smooth. Add flour and continue mixing until well blended, then add milk and mix on low speed until homogeneous.
In a separate bowl, whip the whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the milk and yolk mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 80-90 minutes until lightly golden. After baking, let the cake cool completely in the pan and refrigerate for a couple of hours to set.
Once set, trim the edges and cut the cake into bars. Top the bars with whipped cream and lemon slices if desired, or simply dust with powdered sugar for a touch of sweetness.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this magic custard cake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. It’s simple to make, delicious, and versatile, making it the perfect dessert for any occasion. So why not give it a try and see for yourself just how magical it is? If you do, make sure to tag me on Instagram, would love to see how this turns out for you. Enjoy!
Other custard recipes you may like to try
This Crème Caramel is a classic custard dessert, a favorite for many people, and served all over the world. It is elegant and absolutely delicious. You can hardly beat a Classic Crème Brulée during the spring and summer. It’s creamy, elegant, and refreshing and the crispy caramelized crust on top is simply divine. Crème Brulée is a French dessert consisting of a rich and soft custard made with cream and yolks and topped with a crispy layer of caramelized sugar. It is really easy to prepare and you need only 4 basic ingredients. This Cheesecake Flan is a very delicate and elegant dessert that can be prepared for any occasion. It is rich with a smooth, silky texture and the delicious caramel syrup is making it irresistible.
Magic Custard Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter , at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Grease and line a 8×8 inch (20x20cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Mix egg yolks with sugar, butter vanilla extract and lemon zest until smooth. Add flour and mix until well blended. Add milk and continue mixing on low speed until homogenous.
- In another bowl whip the whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the milk and yolks mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 80-90 minutes until lightly golden. Let it cool completely in the pan and refrigerate to set for a couple of hours.
- Trim the edges and cut the cake into bars. Top the bars with whipped cream and lemon slices if desired or simply dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!