- Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
- Baked Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donuts (no yeast, no eggs)
- No-Bake White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Chocolate Milk Slice Cake - Kinder Chocolate Milk Slice
- No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
- Eggless Chocolate Banana Cake
Red Velvet Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
I’ve really wanted to share with you before Christmas this wonderful Red Velvet Cake. It has a soft and moist interior with a great flavor combination coming from vanilla, cocoa powder and buttermilk.
This cake has a wonderful red color crumb and frosted with a white cream cheese frosting which I simply adore. I’ve seen various Red Velvet Cakes made in different ways and I’ve finally decided on the perfect recipe to share with you. I didn’t want on overwhelmingly sweet cake so I reduced the amount of sugar used in cake batter and in frosting as well. This cake is very well balanced and makes an impressive dessert for winter holidays.
- Makes about 10-12 servings
- Cake Batter
- 2 2/3 cups (310g) cake flour
- 2 tbsp (16g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (220g) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) white vinegar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240g) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1- 2 oz (30g) red food coloring gel
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 17 oz (500g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup (300g) heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (156g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease with butter and dust with flour two 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl mix butter with sugar until combined. Incorporate eggs one at a time. Mix in oil, vinegar,vanilla extract and buttermilk. Incorporate flour mixture until well combined.
- Gradually add red food coloring until the desired color is reached.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let pans cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting. In a bowl sift the powdered sugar. Beat the cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In another bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
- Assemble the cake. Cut the tops of the cakes to create flat surfaces. Make crumbs out of the left pieces of cake and set aside.
- Place 1 cake layer on your serving plate. Spread evenly with a bit less than half of frosting. Add the second layer of cake. Gradually spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the cake with remained cake crumbs if desired.
- The cake is ready to serve.
- The leftover frosted cake can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week. Serve at room temperature.