- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
- Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Tomato Basil Tart
Watch the video for this recipe:
A tomato basil tart is one of the best ways to enjoy the summer flavorful tomatoes and fresh herbs. All year we’ve been waiting for the tomato season, with it’s wonderful smell and taste. Tomatoes are definitely the star in this recipe, as they bring out the best of them.
The recipe can be made either for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s easy to prepare and tastes like summer. What better way to enjoy tomatoes than pairing with cheese, herbs and a puff pastry crust. By far one of the best savory summer tarts ever.
It is best served warm, topped with fresh basil alongside a fresh salad. Give it a try, it’s simply wonderful.
Recipe slightly adapted after BBC GoodFood
- Makes about 4-6 servings
- 1 sheet (400 g) puff pastry, thawed
- 4 tbsp (60g) cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup (25g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup (100g) Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced in about 1/4 inch slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F ( 200C).
Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 “ (6 mm) slices and place on paper towels to drain for about 15-20 minutes. Cover with paper towels as well.
In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, Dijon mustard, garlic, basil and Parmesan cheese.
On a floured surface roll the puff pastry dough into a rectangle of 12x14 inches (30X35cm). Transfer the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Prick pastry all over with fork but not up to the edges, as you leave about 1 inch as a border.
Spread the cheese mixture on puff pastry on a thin layer. Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese evenly on top.
Arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the crust is golden, cheese melted and tomatoes cooked.
- Sprinkle fresh basil on top and serve warm.